Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Truth.

Nose_Rings.jpg

Once upon a time...

Holy cow! That brings back some memories.

My first PC was a Zenith, IBM-compatible, 320k of RAM (!) expandable to 704k because Zenith didn't have anything in the first 64k of memory above 640k. I installed the extra memory myself using chips, and in that day you had to be hyper-sensitive to static ruining the chips.

I have a picture someplace of me installing that RAM--I used a 10-foot piece of aluminum foil stretched from my desk to the floor, where I put my bare foot on it to ground me to the foil. Then I had the motherboard and RAM on that foil as well.

Sometime after that I bought my first hard drive, a whopping 21 mb Seagate. Cost $420, or $20/mb.

Today, my cellphone has well north of 1 gb of memory, and storage in the gigabytes.

Man, we've come a long way.

In high school we had a "desktop" computer with 512 bytes of memory. BYTES. Not GB, not MB, not KB. Then we had an upgraded version with 2K of RAM. We could program that computer to print out the time every 10 seconds on a paper tape. For the time, that was impressive.

Now, it just looks pathetic. :)

computermemory.jpg

Back