Random Drunken Thoughts Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, that was hilarious!
The Spousal Unit heard me laughing, came in for a replay, then admonished me that two of our grandkids are of a similar age as the victim.
Ummm....ok? Still funny!

Cheers! (Can't have no fun around here! ;))

I saw a Where’s Waldo shirt at a thrift store today, so I bought it… just cause. I need to find a Waldo hat now!

Attachments

• 8B77A713-682A-4D2B-9DF0-A6D4E149E9AE.jpeg
    8B77A713-682A-4D2B-9DF0-A6D4E149E9AE.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
f'n last batch of beer cost me $42 for a 10 gallon batch! used to be $25 with store bought malt! gotta start putting the effort back into making my own....

i was just thinking....being that i use 24x10" hop bags, and have been using 6ozs of hops for a batch....and also over boiling....and getting for me crappy 87% effec. what would you think about a dunk sparge with the bags for a hop sparge????? lol

never really considered needing to sparge my hops before...but if i'm using this insane amount, and their soaking up my sugar?

never really considered needing to sparge my hops before...but if i'm using this insane amount, and their soaking up my sugar?

I was wrong once (a couple of decades ago) - so take this with a grain of salt - but if there is a vast disparity in gravity between wort in one part of the kettle and wort in another part of the kettle ... or if sugars are trapped in a bag rather than swimming freely in the wort, then I would assume that my process is f'd up somewhere. If the weave is too tight to let sugars freely swim out, it never would have let them swim in.

I was wrong once (a couple of decades ago) - so take this with a grain of salt - but if there is a vast disparity in gravity between wort in one part of the kettle and wort in another part of the kettle ... or if sugars are trapped in a bag rather than swimming freely in the wort, then I would assume that my process is f'd up somewhere. If the weave is too tight to let sugars freely swim out, it never would have let them swim in.

i'm concerned with absorbtion....when i pull the bag, and let it drain it's swelled up like to the size of a half gallon! then i have to add water back to the wort to get my 10 gallons..so i think if i rinse my hop bags in the top up water?

does anyone know what causes flys to go into attack mode at certain times of day? i had the back door open, and got flys in the house, and now before they die of old age in a month, i have to deal with them trying to make me a lunch time meal! and i swear they have personality too! i swear everytime i try and swat them and miss, they get pissed! go on full assault mode! and they know what's the most irritating too! ears, eyes!

edit: and new random thought, @soccerdad , how many times do you have to squeeze it, to get all the wort out? do you start at the top and work it down, maybe a few times over and over? i have been just hanging above the pot and letting it drain, but now i'm thinking maybe, grabbing the thing with tongs and squeezing it gently?

I don't squeeze grain .. Just let that drip. But with the hop bag I do indeed use a pair of tongs and work my way down as I hold the bag over the kettle.

So...Windows 11 looks to be a sop to hardware manufacturers, as the TPM 2.0 and full suite of fully compliant drivers doesn't go back very far in time. My 3.2ghz 6 core/12 thread triple head Xeon workstation with 12GB of 2600 memory and RAIDed 6Gb SSDs totally murders the performance requirements, but won't hack the TPM requirement,

Which I think is hilarious given this is Microsoft after all - not exactly a beacon of reliability and security, but whatever...

Cheers!

Random rant about honesty and the lack of same.

I needed to replace the thermostats in my wee boat's 90hp V4 outboard. The required parts were not available locally, so I went through the four Amazon-associated supplier options to find the one closest to me - and actually called them. They confirmed they were located in NY and had the kit in stock there, and we agreed it shouldn't take more than a few days to get the kit to me in MA. So I went ahead and put my order in.

That was Friday, but within hours it became evident they were not going to ship the kit from NY, but instead it was going to ship from Pompano Beach, Florida. Wth?

Today is Thursday, and the latest notification shows that kit has made it all the way from Pompano Beach FL to Opa Locka FL.
27 miles - in 6 days?!
I dunno - maybe they had a blizzard down there? Or a huge sand storm? Hurricanes? Sharknados? Wrath of God? Wth!

Meanwhile....by Tuesday I had already decided I needed a backup plan, so I ordered the exact same kit via walmart.com (of all places). They shipped from an associate warehouse in Connecticut, and claimed it would arrive in two days. And indeed it arrived via FedEx this morning, allowing me plenty of time to swap the kit in and fire the 26 year old engine up for a test run (successfully, fwiw - though this is not a job for the faint of heart ;))

The original kit is still in Opa Locka, and when it finally arrives I shall send it back for a full refund - and with a flaming missive relating the above.
I'm ok with random mishaps wrt shipping and stocking, but I cannot tolerate a flat out lie, and Amazon has had my back for far less onerous screwups...

Aaaand now I feel almost guilty of even posting ^that^ when considering the horrifying apartment building collapse in Florida.
Even if by some miracle there are souls still alive under the rubble pile it's going to take a miracle to get anyone out of there.

How the hell does that happen? 12 stories of pancaked concrete? Are they actually saying the concrete rebar failed due to the salty air exposure?
There's a bazillion condos rimming the Florida coast - many of them monstrous structures with many hundreds of units - so is this going to be a thing?

Damn....

There's a bazillion condos rimming the Florida coast - many of them monstrous structures with many hundreds of units - so is this going to be a thing?

Damn....

Might just be, relitvly cheaply constructed cement buildings, built on porous limestone w salt water intrusion, acting as wicks for the brackish water.

disasters like these, & airline crashes, are almost always a series of cascading failures & compounding errors

videos of the collapse do have flashes of light which might indicate controlled demolition. so we can't rule out malicious intent

won't hack the TPM requirement

Mobo doesn't even have the tpm module at all? <I feel silly asking given all the techie answers you've supplied for years> Me, Imma hafta to look up some settings I think. And only on the latest built machine and (don't tell the wife) finally throw out the prior 4 incantations of systems that are strategically placed all over the house holding down their section of floor from spontaneously lifting up.

Re: Fla, I would have hoped sinking ground would have manifested itself earlier in visible cracks or something, but inspectors are gonna be on the hot seat for a while.

[...]videos of the collapse do have flashes of light which might indicate controlled demolition. so we can't rule out malicious intent

I think we can in fact immediately rule out malicious intent.
And those flashes were almost certainly shorts in the electrical wiring as the building tore itself apart...

Aaaand now I feel almost guilty of even posting ^that^ when considering the horrifying apartment building collapse in Florida.
Even if by some miracle there are souls still alive under the rubble pile it's going to take a miracle to get anyone out of there.

How the hell does that happen? 12 stories of pancaked concrete? Are they actually saying the concrete rebar failed due to the salty air exposure?

Damn....

Someone at a local university had been studying that apartment/comdo complex for several years (>10). He has reported that the building has been sinking for a time. Not much, something like 2mm a year. Now add that up over 20-30 years.

Florida is also well-known for sinkholes. Maybe the ground opened up under the building.

Whatever the reason, it is devastating and the loss of life is heartbreaking.

I think we can in fact immediately rule out malicious intent.
And those flashes were almost certainly shorts in the electrical wiring as the building tore itself apart...

According to the internet tinfoil hat brigade, (and I actually had one of them tell me this) "You just don't want to admit that we're right, and that you're still asleep!" Idiots like that make me wish I could reach across the internet and ***** slap them until their eyeballs rattle.

What if you hooked a generator to an electric motor and looped it? if you made it really good, it maybe even coulds get to run light bulb off for free.... not as good as Nicola's idea, but maigh tbe a step...(hell, I'm going to leave that, interesting accent)...

I remember thinking about this about stuff like this in 7th grade. before I had physics courses....though I mostly was not drunk then,..{;

This is the drunken thoughts theread right?

What if you hooked a generator to an electric motor and looped it? if you made it really good, it maybe even coulds get to run light bulb off for free.... not as good as Nicola's idea, but maigh tbe a step...(hell, I'm going to leave that, interesting accent)...

I remember thinking about this about stuff like this in 7th grade. before I had physics courses....though I mostly was not drunk then,..{;

Troll physics. Sounds legit!

Troll Physics.jpg

Did you ever study thermodynamics? If so, did you pass? Even the Patent Office refuses to even evaluate perpetual motion machines. You'd have to invent a way to create negative friction for this to work.

Brew on :mug:

None of my Windows machines have the required TPM 2.0 support and will never have same.
So they're covered on Win10 updates for another handful of years, and then that's it.

I'll probably buy a compatible laptop at some point in 2022 - definite no sooner.
Then I'll consider building another pair of desksides for me and The Spousal Unit...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Back