Random Drunken Thoughts Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
being this is random, and you're older then me...."It's right here in my book!" closest i could find

loved jesica fletcher's movies as a kid!

Today my son earned photo proof that he’s been a brewer since age 4. He’ll see y’all in a couple decades!

Attachments

• 0CB2C801-A336-4375-84BD-A32910B3DED5.jpeg
    0CB2C801-A336-4375-84BD-A32910B3DED5.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • 0874CFCD-8DC0-43B2-9A5E-13CF7E42B6E9.jpeg
    0874CFCD-8DC0-43B2-9A5E-13CF7E42B6E9.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
I know this isn’t a random drunken thought, but I trust y’all and have a question that’s not worth a thread.

I just kicked off a 1.10 OG stout with Wyeast London 1028. I have used this yeast with this recipe several times. This time I picked up the liquid yeast from my LHBS and put it in the fridge when I got home. Not gonna lie, I waited like a month to do this stout. Busy/Lazy. When I finally got around to it, I made a proper starter, pitched just like always, and after 30 hrs I see 0 activity. No krausen, no bubbles from blow off tube, nothing. Like there was no yeast. I’ve made this recipe many times, and the yeast always kicks up like clockwork at 24 hours.

Let’s assume my yeast is bad... am I okay to just buy more yeast and pitch it after days??

I know this isn’t a random drunken thought, but I trust y’all and have a question that’s not worth a thread.

I just kicked off a 1.10 OG stout with Wyeast London 1028. I have used this yeast with this recipe several times. This time I picked up the liquid yeast from my LHBS and put it in the fridge when I got home. Not gonna lie, I waited like a month to do this stout. Busy/Lazy. When I finally got around to it, I made a proper starter, pitched just like always, and after 30 hrs I see 0 activity. No krausen, no bubbles from blow off tube, nothing. Like there was no yeast. I’ve made this recipe many times, and the yeast always kicks up like clockwork at 24 hours.

Let’s assume my yeast is bad... am I okay to just buy more yeast and pitch it after days??
Sure you can.
Posts like this confirm my preference for dry yeast.

Thanks Snuffy. It's possible I was just impatient because it's been so consistent at 24 hrs before. I've got some action happening now, so I'm gonna chill and see what it looks like tomorrow.

There is something to be said for dry yeast! I have a red fermenting next the stout that was roaring after 12hrs. :)

Thanks Snuffy. It's possible I was just impatient because it's been so consistent at 24 hrs before. I've got some action happening now, so I'm gonna chill and see what it looks like tomorrow.

There is something to be said for dry yeast! I have a red fermenting next the stout that was roaring after 12hrs. :)
It's kind of a no-brainer to me. With liquid, you spend twice as much, get less, have to ship cold, possibly wait on a smack pack, build a starter, add nutrient, oxygenate, and then have occasional sluggish results. I admit there are styles that you just need that specific yeast for or it doesn't quite seem right (Belgian Ardennes is hard to beat) but if there is a dry that will do the job well, I'm there. Sometimes I will build a starter with dry for the heck of it. Mostly to try and minimize the amount of yeast cap that builds up on my Tilt - dry poured on top tends to adhere to the Tilt asap - but I get airlock activity within 8 - 10 hrs every time I do.

LOL Yep she’s okay

Last edited:
Any of y’all Slipknot fans? Allow me to ruin that for you forever. Corey Taylor... what happened? It’s like you took Kid Rock, did the impossible, and made it worse.

If the universe was logical, there would not be anything at all. That is my current opinion anyway, and have nothing whatsoever to prove or disprove that premise.

The fact we are here, or perceive to be here, leaves more questions than it answers.. Yes, there are clues that lead to answers, but just as many that would lead away from revealing what is has actually transpired.

Perhaps it is just as well few are paying attention. Not good to have the populace upset or questioning ....much at all..

It will be interesting to see how it all works out, and if one considers the changes in last few centeries, even decades, .....never mind, ..just another drunken thought

I gave up questioning that quite a while ago, seems like the facts are in, regarding sanity of (our)species, anyway.

Yeah. Like (a) it can be done, or (b) it couldn't possibly screw up anything, but mainly (c) WT actual F are some people using for brains?!

(maybe it's all the injecting bleach into veins against diseases...)

set my Google Home Assistant to play rain sounds while I fall asleep.

Problem with falling to sleep to rain sounds is when it does rain, like now, youzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Back