Ran out of One Step ... ratio for Oxy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James0816

Reaction score
Need to clean and sanitize some carboys for racking. Ran out One Step.

What is the ratio of OxyClean per 5g hot water? Was it one scoop? Havent used in awhile.

Thanks

One step doesn't sanitize. It's a cleaner. Oxyclean is only a cleaner too. While some have success using either as both a cleaner and sanitizer, I don't gamble.

That said, I use Oxyclean Free to clean at a ratio of 3 TBSP/5 gallon in hot tap water.

Why are you racking into carboys? Secondaries? They are generally not needed.

Use Washing Soda, Oxiclean, PBW, etc. for cleaning, rinse well, then sanitize with Starsan, Iodophor, etc.

Starsan has my preference, the working solution will last weeks, months even, and is truly non-rinse, the foam is as effective as the solution.

Last edited:
Yes, racking into secondaries.

Ive used both as cleaners and sanitizers.

Secondary is generally no longer used for routine fermentation. Choice is of course yours to make.

Oxy is not considered a sanitizer. It is a cleanser. Can't comment on one step.
Cleaners are not sanitizers but then cleaner is closer to sanitized than nothing

Found a bit of star san. Kewl. Prepped my solution and filling bottles. While they are filling, was reading....

Harmful if swallowed...yet we soak our equipment in it. Lol

Kit instructions are notoriously outdated. Forget about using secondaries. There is nothing they solve while they will cause oxidation and possibly stalled fermentations and infections. Leaving your beer in the "primary" vessel until ready to package is fine.

Yeast will not autolyze in 6 or even 12 weeks. If you want to bulk age for longer than 2-3 months, yeah, sure secondary it, and prevent air exposure as much as you can.

As already stated One Step says that it sanitizes. Doubtful. Oxyclean is not a sanitizer. Clean then sanitize with a true sanitizer.

Skip the secondary. It is unnecessary and at best it's only benefit is a very slight improvement on clarity. The risk of oxidation or infection far outweigh that tiny benefit.

Secondary is generally no longer used for routine fermentation. Choice is of course yours to make.

Cleaners are not sanitizers but then cleaner is closer to sanitized than nothing

Im still fairly new to the brewing game. I rack off of the lees into a secondary and age from there. Then when time is right, back sweeten and bottle. Probably doing it wrong then.

OneStep is Oxiclean (Sodium Percarbonate).

Kit instructions are notoriously outdated. Forget about using secondaries. There is nothing they solve while they will cause oxidation and possibly stalled fermentations and infections. Leaving your beer in the "primary" vessel until ready to package is fine.

Yeast will not autolyze in 6 or even 12 weeks. If you want to bulk age for longer than 2-3 months, yeah, sure secondary it, and prevent air exposure as much as you can.

I agree with this except for the stalled fermentation since the fermentation should be finished before transferring to a secondary. But then again - no secondary.

Im still fairly new to the brewing game. I rack off of the lees into a secondary and age from there. Then when time is right, back sweeten and bottle. Probably doing it wrong then.
Are you talking about beer or wine?

Wine needs to be racked periodically, yes, using K-meta to protect from oxidation.
If it's beer, how long do you "age" it?

OK, lees... I guess we are not talking about a beer. There secondary is not necessary. Since back sweetening, I guess a cider. I have only done one, from a kit. I did no secondary, no aging and no back sweetening. ????

But still clean with a cleaner. Then sanitize with a sanitizer.

Are you sure you are in the right part of the forum? This is beer brewing.

Lees and back sweetening are typical in wine and cider not beer. We would be using terms like trub and dryhop.

Sanitation works for both I suppose so yes, you are in the right area. I was just thrown by the terms.

Yes yes..i know. Im n santizing. Starting to get off track. I make mead and wine...

Anyway..back on track here....what about the bubbles left behind from emptying a carboy that was sanitized using star san?
Says not to rinse

Are you sure you are in the right part of the forum? This is beer brewing.

Lees and back sweetening are typical in wine and cider not beer. We would be using terms like trub and dryhop.

Well this is the Equipment/sanitation, so it is in the right part of the forum. Unless there is a separate one for wines and ciders. I don't think there is one.

Yes yes..i know. Im n santizing. Starting to get off track. I make mead and wine...

Anyway..back on track here....what about the bubbles left behind from emptying a carboy that was sanitized using star san?
Says not to rinse

Ignore the foam. or "Don't fear the foam" There is nothing to worry about other than having some come out of the fermenter and end up on the counter/floor. Wipe it up quickly, it might discolor some surfaces.

I was thrown by the terms as apparently others were with the comments about not using a secondary

Back on topic.
No rinse
Don't fear the foam
You can leave the foam or drain as much as you can
Transfer while the surface is wet
Once dried the surface is susceptible to invasion by unwanted agents

Ignore the foam. or "Don't fear the foam" There is nothing to worry about other than having some come out of the fermenter and end up on the counter/floor. Wipe it up quickly, it might discolor some surfaces.

When i emptied from the bottles, it left behind big bubbles in the carboy. Those are ok?

Let's summarize.
For beer, secondaries are mostly unwanted.
For wine, mead, cider, etc., secondaries are needed to remove the beverage from the lees (yeast and sediments).

Sanitizing is important to prevent infections, but you can't sanitize a surface unless it's clean, first.
Cleaning vessels and equipment that touch your chilled wort, must, beer, wine, etc. is therefore important.

Cleaners and sanitizers are different products with different properties and different uses.
One Step is a cleaner (similar chemical composition as Oxiclean). It may leave a surface sanitized, but neither is considered a sanitizer per se.

A properly diluted working solution of Starsan (1 oz per [EDIT] 5 gallons / 30ml per 19 liters), in small quantities, is deemed safe for human ingestion, as is the foam.
Starsan foam works as well as the liquid. As long as a clean surface remains wet for at least 1 minute with Starsan, or coated with its foam it remains sanitized.

Starsan can be reused for weeks, months even, as long as the pH remains under 3.0 (3.3 seems to be the upper limit). Cloudiness of the working solution does not seem to negatively impact its performance.

This thread pertains to sanitation, so it was posted in the correct forum.
But it could have been posted just as well in the wine making, mead, or cider forum, which may have pinpointed or solicited answers to sanitation methods commonly used with those other beverages. Starsan is fine to use as a sanitizer, as is a K-Meta solution, Iodine/Povidone solution, and perhaps a few others.

Last edited:
Maybe a different way to word it is using oxiclean etc may sanitize your vessels but then rinsing them with a possible contaminated source can **possibly** contaminate the vessel you just cleaned hence the reason you don't rinse away starsan. It would defeat the whole point. Cheers

Latest posts

Back