Raisins in cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahouse86

Reaction score
Hello All,

I did a quick google/forum search and couldn't find too much about it. When making hard cider does anyone have experience adding raisins to? I've heard it can increase body and possibly add tannins from the grape. Just wondering if people have had luck doing it. Thanks in advance.

Somewhere in the dim dark past I read that raisins are sometimes treated/packaged with sulphur dioxide and potentially cause issues with fermentation if added to cider. Don't know where I read this but it might be worth checking out.

Tried them - Not a fan, they do carry some nutrients but not really enough to make a difference.. They do impart some flavor but for me just doesn't go well with my coders.

Early on, back before I read about staggered nutrient schedules, I would add about 1/2 box of golden raisins per batch. Now, I follow a modified Tonsa schedule and don't bother with adding raisins.

They will not give you nutrients, because before you add the raisins it will need to be thoroughly washed in hot water, and it will take all the good from the raisins. Add to slightly shade the taste, make it more tart. I don't like that

Back