Raising temperatures to finish off beers. Does it do anything?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloom_198d

Reaction score
So I just got a fermentation chamber (temp controlled with hot and cool).....

My beers have jumped in quality and predictability, and don't think I could ever go back. I had a IPA go grain to glass in 12 days that was perfect.

One thing I have been doing is keeping the fermentation temperatures cool (65F) for the first 3-7 days than raising the temperature up to 70-80F for a few days after to finish off the beer. I have heard that most off flavours are created in the first 1-3 days so I don't see any problems in that regard. The question is, does the hotter finish help? does it hurt? What's your opinion on this? I have just kinda been doing it on the assumption that the warm temps will help digest by-products and intermediate compounds.

I've never specifically done a test to see the difference, but raising the temp for at least a few days before bottling is always something that I think is good practice.

My main reason for doing it is to make sure that fermentation is really finished and that I won't be getting bottle bombs when I have my bottles carbonating at around 75 degrees.

You need to raise the temp when the fermentation is still active otherwise it doesn't achieve much.
Keep an eye on your gravity and raise the temp around 75% of the FG depending on OG and style etc.
Certain byproducts of fermentation such as diacetyl are able to be reprocessed by yeast resulting in cleaner flavours.

It will speed up the end of fermentation. Extremely doubtful that it affects FG unless you are in a high-alcohol beer and racing against yeast death from alcohol toxicity.

ive found raising the temp a bit at the end serves a few pruposes. It ensures you reach FG so you dont have overcarbed beer or bottle bombs. It helps the yeast clean up and condition faster. It helps you reach FG quicker

Back