raising temp on beer cause ferment. to restart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gawine

Reaction score
My B.Best IPA fermented for about 3 days and stopped - no bubbles for 5 minutes or so, looks dead. I found that odd as my last batch went for 6 days at least. The temp in my furnace room is a little cooler since furnace isn't running as much this time. If i stick a brew belt on there is it possible it will re-start or do i need to re-pitch some yeast if it's not done? i will take a OG reading... i know that's what i really need to do i guess.

i used wyeast 1056. my other batch i used white labs cali ale

Just because you don't see bubbles doesn't mean it's done. Take a gravity reading over a few days to make sure. What temp is it fermenting at now?

I would leave it at least a couple more weeks...

+1 on what the talking dog said. You're flying blind right now. Don't do anything until you know what's really happening in there. It could still be fermenting. It could be done. It could also be stuck and need a bump in temp. You just don't know until you apply beer to hydrometer and see what it says.

My B.Best IPA fermented for about 3 days and stopped - no bubbles for 5 minutes or so, looks dead. I found that odd as my last batch went for 6 days at least. The temp in my furnace room is a little cooler since furnace isn't running as much this time. If i stick a brew belt on there is it possible it will re-start or do i need to re-pitch some yeast if it's not done? i will take a OG reading... i know that's what i really need to do i guess.

i used wyeast 1056. my other batch i used white labs cali ale

If your lid is airtight and the only way for C02 to get out is the airlock and it is not bubbling, then you are not fermenting.

What is the temperature in the room the fermenter is sitting in? What yeast did you use? What was the initial gravity? What is the gravity now?

I use 1056 at temps around 59 deg. F. It goes crazy. If you have temps colder than that, that could be a problem (unless you want to start lagering). But hard to believe it is that cold in your furnace room.

Most likely you did not aerate the wort enough initially, or it is simply done quickly. Take a gravity reading and compare it to your expected FG (or 75% of your OG).

Raising temp might help, or it might lead to off flavors, or both. It is hard to add oxygen now, without making the beer go stale.

If the gravity indicates that it isn't done, rousing the yeast and raising the temperature a little will restart the fermentation. You don't need to add more yeast.

From what I understand (im new) its probably going into a secondary stage of fermenting. I personally would just let it be. A gravity reading to be completly sure.

I would give a small shake to re-suspend the yeast and warm it up a BIT at a time over several days. Your past the initial stage of fermentation, where the majority of temp-related problems will occur, but still move it up gently.

And I agree that you will not be sure until you take gravity readings with a hydrometer or refractometer.

I experienced a similar problem a week ago with an APA I brewed and pitched with WLP001 (California Ale) OG 1.051. I had it in my boiler room where the temperature this time of year is a pretty consistent 68-69F. I had great initial fermentation and then peter'd out after 48hrs. I brought a space heater into the boiler room to raise and hold the temp at 73F and agve the carboy a little swirl to re-suspend the yeast. This worked to restart fermentation for about 24hrs but then it just stopped FG 1.026.

After going through my brew process and notes, I realized that I completely forgot to aerate the wort. So all in all, I'll have a low ABV beer but the lesson I learned here is to make sure to properly aerate and not think that vigorously pouring wort into the fermenter will suffice.

axr

Latest posts

Back