Raising Mash Temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YCantIBU

Reaction score
Hi. Anyone know how many gal. of boiling water it takes to raise 3.5 gal. of mash from 150 degrees to 168 degrees at the end of the rest?

Hello and welcome to the forum.

The answer depends on how much grain is in the mash. I would recommend boiling at least 3 gallons and adding water slowly until you reach 168. Even better, using brewing software does the math for you. There are free software options and beersmith, which I use, is about $20. Beersmith has a free trial version as well. Also, doing a mash out is also not required, although many brewers prefer to mash out.

And here. I use Brewer's Friend for all of the calculations I do for brewing. Well except priming sugar, for some reason I've always used the Northern Brewer calculator for that. And the "Can I Mash It" calculator on Racker's that's on AnOldUR's link above is awesome.

11lb13oz, Thanks everyone. I have read that mash out is not required, and I have never done one before. Essentially, I will be raising the mash temp by sparging around 180 - correct?

Back