Raising ABV during fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLRAB

Reaction score
I brewed an Aletoberfest yesterday, ( I know it's an odd time of year for an Oktoberfest but I bought everything a long time ago and never got around to brewing it) and for whatever reason my OG was 1.040. If my FG is around 1.010 then I'm looking at an ABV in the low 4's. That is a little low for my liking. I have a pack of Mr. Beer Booster from a long time ago, which leads me to my questions:

1. Would it be ok to dissolve the pack in 1-2 cups of water and add it? This would raise my ABV about 1.3% per my research. I understand that anything added during fermentation only lowers FG and obviously doesn't raise my OG so that I may not get the full 1.3% which is fine.

2. Is there a better option? DME?

Plan on a 2-stage fermentation with this brew, (2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary) and from my understanding I don't want any activity after I rack into secondary. With that being said, I would assume I need to get something in primary ASAP.

Any info on this would be appreciated.

If the ABV means that much, boil the two cups of water, dissolve the "booster" in it, simmer for another minute or two, then cover and let cool a bit before dumping it in the fermenter. You don't really need to cool it to room temp as those two cups will barely move the wort temperature even if you dumped it in at boiling temperature.

As for how much of a bang you'll get, I'm pretty sure the "booster" was 75/25 corn sugar/maltodextrin. If you wanted a bigger bang, use the same weight of straight corn sugar...

Cheers!

As mentioned it's fine to add the booster if you want. Just a quick question on your OG - you said "for whatever reason" your OG was 1.040, which I'm assuming was off from the original recipe. If you don't know why it was low I'm just making sure that wasn't a measurement error and you're trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Was this all grain and you missed your efficiency? Did you have too much volume? Or was this extract and your volumes were on, in which case it was very likely a mixing/measurement error.

Back