Rahr pale ale malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen a similar post on here some time ago, and the conclusion was that it was better than Briess' Pale Ale malt, but was no Maris Otter.
Of course I can't find the link now... So consider this idle speculation and hearsay!

I have used a few bags of Rahr 2 row base malt and would rank it with Briess as a generic base malt. Neither will make me change my use of Golden Promise for my favorite recipes...

Cheers!

I have used a few bags of Rahr 2 row base malt and would rank it with Briess as a generic base malt. Neither will make me change my use of Golden Promise for my favorite recipes...

Cheers!
How's DP on that GP? I like the MO I've been using, but I sometimes feel limited in adjunct use by the low DP.

edit: and to be on topic, Rahr pale DP is high enough I'd never worry about it.

I get Simpsons GP by the bag through the local BSG, and similar to MO, one should be cautious wrt unmalted adjunct use with GP, as DP runs from min of 45 to 70.

https://www.simpsonsmalt.co.uk/our-malts/finest-pale-ale-golden-promise/
For the few recipes I do with significant adjuncts I use some Briess Brewers Malt - with a DP of 140. "Thor's Hammer" 😁

Cheers!

I use Rahr 2 Row religiously. I've used their Pale as well, and not sure I could tell the difference. It's a touch darker than their 2 Row. Supposedly more rich in flavor, but I tend to use both 2 Row and Pale in hoppier beers, so that's probably why I can't differentiate.

I assume that all the malts out there are good and serve a purpose.

The question is whether it's a good choice for the beer's taste and other qualities you wish to brew. And you haven't given us any idea of that.

I use it for pale ales and other light ales with good results. But those generally have been very hoppy beers so not much of the malts shine through.

I assume that all the malts out there are good and serve a purpose.

The question is whether it's a good choice for the beer's taste and other qualities you wish to brew. And you haven't given us any idea of that.

I use it for pale ales and other light ales with good results. But those generally have been very hoppy beers so not much of the malts shine through.
Your last sentence highlights what I do re hop-forward beers. For IPAs, APAs, and the like, I'm a little less picky about the base malt's flavor profile. I often buy Rahr or Briess 2-row, and am satisfied with that. Whatever's the best bargain.

Conversely, if I'm brewing something malt-forward, I'll opt for base malts with a more pronounced malt flavor. MO or GP for Brit/Irish ales, Belgian pilsner for Belgians, and so forth.

considering all major maltsters have a standard to maintain, they sample batches to desired requirements. if they don't meet standards then they may mix batches to obtain the desired requirements.

all big maltsters have quality malt with repeatable outputs. granted that is in their facility once sold the retailer is control of storage etc.

as everyone else noted, style of beer would designate the type of malt used.

Back