Rahr and Briess grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adworld

Reaction score
Are Rahr and Briess considered an American 2 row or UK 2 row? is there a good resource online to learn about the different grains?

thanks
David

Try looking at their respective websites.

I went to rahr's site and it stated nothing about their grain other than how to be come a distributor and its mill location. No mention of they particular style of grains they malt

They are both grown and malted in North America, so they are domestic 2-Row. I'd use Rahr over Briess. Briess makes some great specialty malts, but their base malts, especially the plain 2-row, are of pretty low quality.

They are both grown and malted in North America, so they are domestic 2-Row. I'd use Rahr over Briess. Briess makes some great specialty malts, but their base malts, especially the plain 2-row, are of pretty low quality.

I thought they maybe American malts but hate to assume anything :)

thanks again
David

Briess makes some great specialty malts, but their base malts, especially the plain 2-row, are of pretty low quality.

How low is low quality? I'm looking at $25 for 15# of Rahr 2-row from NB vs $36 for a 50# sack of breiss from my LHBS (unfortunately they don't have easy access to Rahr malts:().

The recipe calls for splitting Rahr 50/50 with Maris Otter and supplementing with Munich and Victory. This is for a Pumpkin beer.

The other option i'm open to is just using Maris Otter and spending the $25 somewhere else.

Thoughts?

The original question is obviously answered with the grain-chart. I'll only add pale ale malt is a pretty good and less expensive form of standard british malt. I would however say it's a decent sub for marris otter, but falls quite short of golden promise.

How low is low quality? I'm looking at $25 for 15# of Rahr 2-row from NB vs $36 for a 50# sack of breiss from my LHBS (unfortunately they don't have easy access to Rahr malts:().

The recipe calls for splitting Rahr 50/50 with Maris Otter and supplementing with Munich and Victory. This is for a Pumpkin beer.

The other option i'm open to is just using Maris Otter and spending the $25 somewhere else.

Thoughts?

Nothing whatsoever wrong Briess malt. It's a solid malt, I do prefer Rahr base, but from name alone Briess plays BMW to the Rahr's Ford. By all means go with the 50#/$36 sack of Briess. No contest on the better buy. Though I prefer the Rahr, it's not better enough to pass up a deal like that.

Phillip

Back