Racking wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugleBrew

Reaction score
I'm making one of those big 4 gallon wine kits right now. OG was 1.082, and instructions said to rack to a carboy at or below 1.010, leaving most of the trub behind, to let it finish to 0.996. I racked when I was supposed to, but I'm worried I got too much of the trub, as almost all of it was transferred over. Should I try to rack again?

I'm making one of those big 4 gallon wine kits right now. OG was 1.082, and instructions said to rack to a carboy at or below 1.010, leaving most of the trub behind, to let it finish to 0.996. I racked when I was supposed to, but I'm worried I got too much of the trub, as almost all of it was transferred over. Should I try to rack again?

No. Any "extra" lees you racked over will still fall to the bottom, and it will be fine. You don't want the wine on gross lees for months on end, but for the weeks required in this case, you'll be fine.

Back