Racking Two Beers To One Keg ( Black & Tan )

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottishPete

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If I were to brew two beers that would make up a black & tan, anything wrong with racking 1/3 of each batch into one keg to essentially have a black & tan on tap?

I would then rack the remaining 2/3 of each individual beer to their own kegs ...

Nothing wrong with blending beers. Although when I think Black and Tan I think of the physical separation as the main part of the experience in drinking them, Not just having them blended. Just be aware, they won't separate in the keg or in your glass when poured.

I see nothing wrong with it. Its actually a really good idea. Even if it seperates in the keg, you'll have a pseudo blended transition period. Also, you could always just slightly rock the keg to kind of blend it before each use.

I had originally envisioned shaking the keg up after adding the two batches to get a good blend ... tho I do love the beauty of a well separated pint, I'm going for flavor with this idea

For anyone in the Northeast ( or who can get Long Trail ), try a Guinness & Blackbeary Wheat black & tan sometime ... you can buy me a beer later ;-)

I would think you would almost have to shake up the keg. It pulls from the bottom, so if you intentionally tried to separate the brews while putting them into the keg, your first pours would be the heavier (and presumably the first) beer you put into the keg. I'm sure you would get some flavor mixing, but not much. Thoughts?

Back