Racking to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barefoot_trashko

Reaction score
Trying to make my first batch of hard cider. We used a juicer and got about 6L of cider. Used ale yeast from some beer that we made and it fermented like crazy. Here's what it looks like now after a week. I'm wondering about racking it to the secondary. On about the 5th day it started to separate and now the bottom 1/3 has a lot of sediment. How much of that do I put in the secondary? I can't see a yeast layer on the bottom right now. Should I stir it up some and then rack it? Any help is appreciated here!

100_5190.jpg

That's a lot of sediment. How did you juice them?
I'm not expert on this, but I'd recommend letting it sit for longer in the hopes that the sediment compresses and you can get a better yield from the batch.
Another thing I might try (not that I recommend it) would be to rack the top, then run the sediment threw a cheese cloth.
Have you taken SG readings?

All of the yeast that has fallen out would be mixed in with the sediment.

DrJerryrigger said:
That's a lot of sediment. How did you juice them?
I'm not expert on this, but I'd recommend letting it sit for longer in the hopes that the sediment compresses and you can get a better yield from the batch.
Another thing I might try (not that I recommend it) would be to rack the top, then run the sediment threw a cheese cloth.
Have you taken SG readings?

All of the yeast that has fallen out would be mixed in with the sediment.

Ok. I do have a cheesecloth and currently do not have a hydrometer. Mine broke and the only homebrew shop here is quite a ways away. I live in China and there is 1 online homebrew shop in the whole country :)

Latest posts

Back