Racking tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BL41R

Reaction score
How do you guys leave minimal beer when racking?

We cold crashed so the trub was solid and we use the biggest auto-siphon. We also kept the black cap on. As we moved the nosel towards the trub (towards the end of racking) it would either start sucking air or some of the trub.

I once read a post where someone said they rack and leave like a beer's worth in the bottom. Because this time we definitely left more than one. We do not use a secondary.

Thanks

We are using a glass carboy. And there isn't much wiggle room for the siphon

I use the larger autosiphon with carboys, and slide a scrap of 2x4 under the edge to tilt it. The siphon's bottom tip won't go all the way to the edge of the carboy, but it's off-center enough to suck up all but about a pint or so with the tilt.

Use a standard racking cane and a carboy cap (double spout type). Tilt the carboy while racking. After cold crash, I have very little beer left behind, maybe a cup. I personally don't like the auto siphon as it is difficult to suspend off of the trub.

Okay thanks guys
We will try tilting the carboy next time.

Yep I slip an old book or a kid bowl under mine. They also sell "wedges" for carboys. Look into those too.

~RDWHAHB~

Use a standard racking cane and a carboy cap Tilt the carboy while racking.
Like this . . .
196207d1398712967-new-how-video-transferring-your-beer-secondary-fermeter-keg-transfer2secondary_crop.jpg

Back