Racking off pectin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PapaG

Reaction score
I'm new to wine making but have about 9 on the go at the moment. 2 of them are from jam and pectic enzyme was added. The ferment is slowing but 30% of the demijohn looks like pectin. If I rack it off the pectin into a new demijohn I will prob be left with approx 60% of the wine. Do I top it up with water? Will theis affect the wine? Make it weaker?

Topping off with water, unless it’s very minuscule, is usually the last resort. Glass marbles, or multiple Smaller bottles would be better. If you had any of the similar or same type of wine, you could top off with that too. Some people may take that as an opportunity to fortify it with some distilled spirits.

I've just read that topping up with a syrup of the same strength for the first rack is an option. Any thoughts on that? I plan on leaving for another few weeks first until the ferment slows significantly

I'd wait until it's finished fermenting, then cold crash for a couple days before racking, which should help compact the lees.
For the future, plan on starting about 1 qt. more than you need. At first racking put the extra in a sanitized jar in the fridge. You can use this to top off future rackings.

Here's how I deal with topping up - this is 6 gallons plus of blueberry-blackberry wine started last month. I have a selection of different sized glass containers, gathered over time from recycling depots, and bungs to fit them. The carboys start out with a friend such as this three-litre wine bottle, which gets replaced with a smaller one at each racking.

Last year's blackberry wine on the left has no friends left and is clear and ready to bottle.
IMG_20200316_181819.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200316_181819.jpg
    IMG_20200316_181819.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
One more question. I'm going to rack this weekend. Can you filter pectin using cheese cloth or do you have to rack without getting it in the syphon?

Just try to not get it in the siphon. Pectin won’t filter out unless you use something very fine, and to do it without oxidizing you’ll need to get a special filter pump.

Back