Racking Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

berrbellybob

Reaction score
Hi
ive made some cide using apples from my orchard, home made scratter and press. Fermented for around 2 weeks.About 22ltrs in all.:mug:

I want to know what the best step is to take.

I have a plastic "keg" (25ltr) which has a fitting for CO2 cartridges (i have the mini CO2 cartidges). If i rack into this wont the air in the keg affect the cider as i rack into it?? Is there any prep i need to do to the keg to limit this?

I also have 40 pet bottles and carb-drops from an un-used beer kit. Would it be better to rack into these?

Also, i have sampled the cider and it is ever so slightly carbonated but after several minutes it starts to tast flat & "vinegary"(?). How can i test that my cider aint vinegar??

Is it worth adding camden tablets to kill the yeast before racking to the large keg?

would really appreciate any tips/advice.

p.s.for any UK members in the Midlands area with orchard i would be willing to come round with scratter/press for juice extraction in exchange for some juice!

Hex

Reaction score
Racking usually kicks enough CO2 out of solution to displace the 'air' in the new vessel's headspace.