Racking Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berrbellybob

Reaction score
Hi
ive made some cide using apples from my orchard, home made scratter and press. Fermented for around 2 weeks.About 22ltrs in all.:mug:

I want to know what the best step is to take.

I have a plastic "keg" (25ltr) which has a fitting for CO2 cartridges (i have the mini CO2 cartidges). If i rack into this wont the air in the keg affect the cider as i rack into it?? Is there any prep i need to do to the keg to limit this?

I also have 40 pet bottles and carb-drops from an un-used beer kit. Would it be better to rack into these?

Also, i have sampled the cider and it is ever so slightly carbonated but after several minutes it starts to tast flat & "vinegary"(?). How can i test that my cider aint vinegar??

Is it worth adding camden tablets to kill the yeast before racking to the large keg?

would really appreciate any tips/advice.

p.s.for any UK members in the Midlands area with orchard i would be willing to come round with scratter/press for juice extraction in exchange for some juice!

Racking usually kicks enough CO2 out of solution to displace the 'air' in the new vessel's headspace.

Back