Racking Cane Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KPatrick

Reaction score
Okay, so I bought a racking cane today. In the bag were the hard plastic cane itself, a length of 5/16's flexible plastic tube, a had plastic tube with a black plastic cap on one end, and a hard plastic tube bent towards the end at ~90 degrees.

My question: what the hell are that 90-degree bit and the capped bit for?

Pics? a link to said set-up even?

Sounds like an adjustable racking cane with a bottling wand. Is the black plastic bit spring loaded?

Mebe it's a racking assortment.

?

These are racking canes (different sizes):
racking_canes.jpg

This is an autosiphon:
auto-siphon.jpg

Which do you have?

Pretty sure that the hard tube with the 90 degree angle is your racking cane. The black cap goes on the tip to help keep crud out while you rack your beer. The straight hard tube is probably a bottling wand. It should have a little spring loaded device that goes on the tip, acting as a valve.

Ah, seeing those in the bucket on top show me what it's for. Thanks all.

My autosiphon came with the racking cane thingy that is shown in the buckets. I was under the impression that I was supposed to have it attached to the other end out the tubing so that the wort didn't splash around and get oxygenated during rackings.

Latest posts

Back