Quantcast

Racking cane in boiling wort?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Plan9

Reaction score
Can a normal acrylic racking can handle boiling wort, or should I pick up a stainless one?

I'm trying to figure out how to get my wort out of the kettle, and through my CFC.

Kayos

Reaction score
I wouldn't use acrylic in boiling wort. How about a wort wizard? I have never used them, but seems like a good idea. Or maybe get a weldless valve on your kettle.

www.wortwizard.com

Blender

Reaction score
I will melt and bend. Don't do it. How about installing a valve on you kettle for draining?

OP
Plan9

Plan9

Reaction score
A valve is in the long term plans, but I'm looking at short term, like this weekend, kinda plans.

Funkenjaeger

Reaction score
I was in a similar boat a while back. Built a CFC, and like the day before brew day, realized I had no way to get the wort through it. I wound up buying a foot of 3/8" copper tubing, and soldering a 1/2" end cap on there to act like the plastic caps on racking cane tips.

The whole ordeal pretty much sucked, between trying to maintain a siphon (with a hop bag on the racking cane) and trying to regulate the water flow to maintain the wort temp where I needed it... That was one of the two times I used the CFC before selling it and switching to an immersion chiller. I think it would have been a lot better if I'd been using a kettle valve.

YMMV...

e lo

Reaction score
5 Is Not Enough said:

Bad idea.:mad:
Now that is a hilarious picture. Your autosiphon looks so sad...

Plan9 ... you could get a stainless racking cane at your LHBS for the short-term. More $, but boiling wort wouldn't be a problem.

OP
Plan9

Plan9

Reaction score
I saw that. It's a pretty good idea.
I was going to buy a SS cane, but Frankenjaeger mentioned copper, and it got me looking through the garage. I found a 2 foot piece of 3/8 copper, and I'm going to bend my own.

OP
Plan9

Plan9

Reaction score
The piece of copper was a little too short to make a nice curve at the top and bottom, and still stand up.
So I came up with another solution.

The pot came with a turkey stand that has a false bottom, and a pole.
I wired the copper to it with a flat bend at the bottom.
Just lower it in on top of the trub, and your good to go. In theory.

knipknup

Bloody John Roberts
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That's excellent, but you should use high temp hose because that hose will melt in half during your siphon. I learned that one in the same siphon that warped my auto-siphon. See picture in earlier post if you need your memory jogged...

OP
Plan9

Plan9

Reaction score
What type of hose can withstand these temps, and not impart off-flavors in the wort?
I'm thinking rubber hose would add some funky flavors.