Racking BOOM onto fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinchecharlie

Reaction score
I was thinking of racking a gallon batch of boom onto fruit just because I have so many gallons going why not right? Anyway in the recipe it says" make sure and use good practices " because of fruit and oxidization . So.. What are those practices? No head space? No splashing? What else should a tourist know? Also can you just stuff the fruit in the carboy or does it have to be in a bag? And how would you even get it in there in a bag ( this ones been bugging me) Thanks for any replies in advance charlie

Good practices include minimal splashing with no headspace. Also, keep the airlock full at all times.

The fruit never has to be in a bag, but sometimes a fine mesh bag helps contain seeds. Most fruit just disintegrates, so I generally don't bother. I generally use buckets if I plan to use fruit.

Not trying to be a bastard, but it's Bray's One Month Mead (BOMM). Cheers!

It worked well when I racked my orange blossom mead to the secondary onto 24 oz of raspberries per gallon in sanitized muslin for a week. Excellent result.

Back