Racking a sour onto raspberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
After aging my sour in the primary for 7 months, just this past Tuesday I racked it onto 3 lbs of raspberries to referment. Should I have added any new bugs at this time? I used a mix of sacc, brett, lacto, pedio, basically the works for the primary. Should I expect to see much activity? 2 days have past and still nothing. I'm probably over anxious as I plan to leave it on the raspberries for 3 months, but just wanted to check if I should have added anything.

Having pedio you will need to let it sit longer than 3 months. It will get sick again. You will have more than enough in solution(brett, lacto and pedio) to continue going as the sacc. Should be dead by now.

if this was 5gallons 3#s of raspberry isn't adding much sugar, so you might not see much activity. you will see the raspberries turn whitish tho. how was the brew going into the fruit? 7 months may have been too early.

Having pedio you will need to let it sit longer than 3 months. It will get sick again. You will have more than enough in solution(brett, lacto and pedio) to continue going as the sacc. Should be dead by now.

i dont agree with any of this. it's not a given the pedio will get sick nor that it would take >3 months to clean up. I've never had an issue with this after fruiting and i usually do 6-12 weeks on fruit. the sacc may be pretty beat up from the age/pH, but i doubt its dead

Yeah, this is my second time brewing with raspberries and I remember them turning white, but don't recall noticing any activity either. The beer tasted pretty good going in, noticeable sour notes, but not a lot of complexity. I bottled a little bit of it before racking onto raspberries to compare down the road. I was following the timeframe given to me by the head brewer at Jester King as I'm trying to replicate Atrial Rubicite. 3 months now on the raspberries then keg or bottle.

if this was 5gallons 3#s of raspberry isn't adding much sugar, so you might not see much activity. you will see the raspberries turn whitish tho. how was the brew going into the fruit? 7 months may have been too early.

i dont agree with any of this. it's not a given the pedio will get sick nor that it would take >3 months to clean up. I've never had an issue with this after fruiting and i usually do 6-12 weeks on fruit. the sacc may be pretty beat up from the age/pH, but i doubt its dead

Simply said we just have had different experiences which is normal. Due to these experiences is why I personally shy away from pedio in my sours. But hey if they work for you lets celebrate and drink.

Back