Rack from Speidel 30L into Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imburr

Reaction score
Alright, I am brewing NEIPA's and oxygen is my enemy. My goal is to ferment/primary in a 30L Speidel, and then rack it into a dry hopped keg. Looking for tips and advice on getting this done.

Brew, put into Speidel. Aerate, add yeast. Finish primary. Late hop additions and leave in same container. Once done, cold crash and purge out O2 and putting CO2 in.

What is the best way to get CO2 into the Speidel?

Once cold crashed, set Speidel PSI to like 10 or something. Purge keg of O2 and fill with 5 PSI of CO2.

Connect Speidel spigot port to some tubing connected to the liquid valve on my keg. Open flow and as keg fills release top air using bleed valve.

Pressurize and carb as normal.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks guys, I ordered it.

So with my 30L and a 5 gallon batch, the container is 1/2-2/3 full. How do I purge O2 out of the vessel, and at what time is best to do that? Any tricks about getting it into a keg, etc?

I don't ever purge or cold crash in mine. Once I'm ready to transfer to the keg, I remove my blow off tube/thermowell lid accessory and attach the above linked gas ball lock accessory. I connect the diptube ball valve (I have the 1/2" diptube and 1/2" ball vavle on mine) to the keg liquid in post. Then open the keg prv, pressurize the speidel, open up the speidel valve and let it flow.

I don't ever purge or cold crash in mine. Once I'm ready to transfer to the keg, I remove my blow off tube/thermowell lid accessory and attach the above linked gas ball lock accessory. I connect the diptube ball valve (I have the 1/2" diptube and 1/2" ball vavle on mine) to the keg liquid in post. Then open the keg prv, pressurize the speidel, open up the speidel valve and let it flow.

Guess I would just be worried about getting trub/floaters as it is pretty hard to see inside of the Speidel without opening it.

Thanks guys, I ordered it.

So with my 30L and a 5 gallon batch, the container is 1/2-2/3 full. How do I purge O2 out of the vessel, and at what time is best to do that? Any tricks about getting it into a keg, etc?

Are you concerned about getting o2 when you cold crash? Maybe you can try to not get o2 in the speidel so you don’t have to purge it? I have in the past swapped out the airlock with the ball lock/spunding valve attachment before terminal gravity in hopes to let the fermentation push out the o2 that gets in from swapping the attachments. My theory was to also have that valve suck in tight durning cold crash, and then not having the o2 rush in when I have to transfer. It sort of works, but I don’t think that I get a tight enough seal. If I use that attachment compared to the screw on cap in the same manner, the suck back with the cap dents in the sides a lot and the valve doesn’t pull in the side at all. I have also tried to just use the ball lock/spunding valve for primary fermentation, but again I don’t think I get a tight enough seal and I need to tinker with the spring and gaskets more.

What I want to try next is something similar that another member, @day_tripper, I believe, does with balloons. He uses pressure on balloons attached to his vessel and when cold crashing the balloons hold co2 that gets sucked back into the vessel. I kind of want to try to stick a ballon on the end of the airlock before fermentation ends to blow up the balloon, crash it, and hopefully it has enough co2.

Latest posts

Back