"Racetrack" Style Cornies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOP-HEAD

Reaction score
I know this was asked in another thread, but it's kind of buried in there and I'd like some clarification before I place an order...

Kegconnection's got a sweet deal right now on 'em, but I've heard mixed opinions. Not on the quality, that doesn't scare me from these guys, but the style. How different are they really, and are they fine, or a pain in the ass?

The only problem I see with them is that you cant interchange the lids with the regular style cornies. Kegconnection sells all replacement parts and seals for them, so I dont see any problem. I ordered two!!!

This is a pic of one from kegconnections....

RACETRACK.jpg

The only downfall noted so far has been with regard to replacement parts, and the fact that they aren't interchangeable with common cornies.

Ive got 2 on the way as well, I dont think that there is going to be any issue with them...Its just a "different shaped lid" in the simplest way of saying it.
I dont know about 0-ring sizes though, they might be different...feel free to chime in if you know.

Ive got 2 on the way as well, I dont think that there is going to be any issue with them...Its just a "different shaped lid" in the simplest way of saying it.
I dont know about 0-ring sizes though, they might be different...feel free to chime in if you know.
I've got one - the lid O-Ring is the same as a standard O-Ring. The O-rings on the liquid & gas dip tube are not the same. I stacked two standard O-rings and it worked fine. If you need a replacement nylon spacer/poppet - Williams Brewing is the place to get them. You're looking for the John Woods style poppet. I can provide links to the specific parts that I've found to work (it was a lot of trial & error - and I had a leaking poppet, so I had to find the answer) if you want.

I've got one - the lid O-Ring is the same as a standard O-Ring. The O-rings on the liquid & gas dip tube are not the same. I stacked two standard O-rings and it worked fine. If you need a replacement nylon spacer/poppet - Williams Brewing is the place to get them. You're looking for the John Woods style poppet. I can provide links to the specific parts that I've found to work (it was a lot of trial & error - and I had a leaking poppet, so I had to find the answer) if you want.

Yes, please do.

I just snagged me two of these on the black Friday sale as well.

Here's the nylon spacers. They're a little taller, you can either put some muscle into it when putting the post back on (that's what I did) or sand it down.

And here's the poppets that I found to work with the above nylon spacers.

Of course, watch Keg Connection have replaced the posts with ones that are standardized. If so - let me know!

Here's the nylon spacers. They're a little taller, you can either put some muscle into it when putting the post back on (that's what I did) or sand it down.

And here's the poppets that I found to work with the above nylon spacers.

Of course, watch Keg Connection have replaced the posts with ones that are standardized. If so - let me know!

Ok cool. I actually have one corny keg right now and one firestone and they are different in terms of the poppets and nylon spacers. It's a pain in the ass if you get them mixed up, but I think I'll be ok.

Thanks,
J

One other piece I forgot - DON'T THROW AWAY the nylon gas in tube... They are no longer available ANYWHERE. The stainless ones don't fit, although I did see a thread by a guy who drill out the gas in hole a bit to fit the stainless tube. I tried to find it, but can't.

One other piece I forgot - DON'T THROW AWAY the nylon gas in tube... They are no longer available ANYWHERE. The stainless ones don't fit, although I did see a thread by a guy who drill out the gas in hole a bit to fit the stainless tube. I tried to find it, but can't.

Yeah, I have one of those on my firestone keg and I was wondering about that.

Thanks for the advice,
J

I picked up a bunch of these kegs awhile back and just received my Ball Lock O-ring kits from Austin Homebrew; only to find out that there are different versions of "Ball Lock Cornies". Guess I should have pulled the posts off before ordering.

My nylon inserts are definitely shorter than the ones pictured on Williams Brewing. Any ideas where I can find shorter ones or am I destined to filing and wetsanding?

Since I'll likely be putting an order in at Williams, which dip-tube seal is the correct one? Spartenberg? My kegs don't even say Challenger on them, they are that old!

Just found this reference page illustrating all the different transfer kegs.

As per one of the diagrams and several part descriptions the gas side dip tube is actually a liquid level indicator.
The bottom of the tube is the 18L fill line. So for those of you asking if it's actually necessary, I would say the answer is no.

http://www.simgo.com/transfer.htm

Back