Racetrack kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sebastienzeman18

The ShortCanadian
Reaction score
Hi I saw a guy selling a racetrack keg and corny kegs but the racetrack kegs are significantly cheaper. What are the differences between the two and can I still use a racetrack keg and hook it up to a keezer?

If all of the parts are viable there's no reason you can't treat a race track keg like any other cornelius style keg.
If you find you need any parts be sure to check out chicompany.net.

The only real difference is in the obvious lid geometry difference - and perhaps that some keg lids didn't have any PRV (though other race track lids ran the gamut of PRV types). I recommend getting lids with at least one-and-done (burst style) PRVs...

Cheers!

Thanks, that's very helpful. One last thing are the poppets the same as the type used for corny kegs or will I have to get completely different ball lock gas and liquid connectors?

Ah, well, now things can get interesting, as there were different types of threaded risers and posts used back in that era (70+ years back?). Some types encorporated nylon pieces under the post, for instance. And the actual poppets (the spring loaded bit inside the post that you can see the head) are kinda all over the place as to length and head diameter.

But, bottom line, if these kegs came with ball lock posts they'll mate with today's ball lock quick disconnects; same would apply if they sport pin lock posts. But either type posts may look quite different from more recent vintage fittings (check out John Woods keg posts, for instance)...

Cheers!

Back