Quitting my job, family of 4. What next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update time.
Got a couple resumes cooking and working on cover letters. LinkedIn is go as well.
Really enjoyed resting, spending time with the family and getting spring yard work started without my phone going off every two minutes.
I've found a couple of leads on items of interest.
Question, is it considered inappropriate in today's tech driven world to hand deliver resumes? It's been a decade since I went on an interview. I feel, as well as others around me, that I sell myself better than any resume I could cook up. Not to sound cocky or anything... I'm one of those strange introvert people persons who can strike up conversation with anyone about nothing. I mean, if *I* was looking for good people, I'm considering the person who took the time to stand before me first. But I'm not sure if that's still how the world works.

Also, was working my way through What Color Is Your Parachute. Sadly, the author passed away yesterday.
For a professional job it is not appropriate to deliver a resume by hand, and it is highly unlikely you would ever make contact with the hiring manager...

Professional jobs often get hundreds if not thousands of applicants in some places, computers scan resumes submitted electronically for key words and produce a short.ist of possible matches that Hr then further reduces to a pool that is manageable to interview. To get out of that loop because you don't have the right keywords, credentials, experience or whatever they are looking for (i.e. Breaking into a new field) you need a referral, or a recruiter.

Update time.
Got a couple resumes cooking and working on cover letters. LinkedIn is go as well.
Really enjoyed resting, spending time with the family and getting spring yard work started without my phone going off every two minutes.
I've found a couple of leads on items of interest.
Question, is it considered inappropriate in today's tech driven world to hand deliver resumes? It's been a decade since I went on an interview. I feel, as well as others around me, that I sell myself better than any resume I could cook up. Not to sound cocky or anything... I'm one of those strange introvert people persons who can strike up conversation with anyone about nothing. I mean, if *I* was looking for good people, I'm considering the person who took the time to stand before me first. But I'm not sure if that's still how the world works.

Also, was working my way through What Color Is Your Parachute. Sadly, the author passed away yesterday.

Okay so my advice, had a few drinks!! Is to look at your local electric utilities. They pay GOOD money whether you are union or management and you can put you EE background to work or expand on it. My background is environmental and from experience can suggest this path. Good Luck!!

For a professional job it is not appropriate to deliver a resume by hand, and it is highly unlikely you would ever make contact with the hiring manager...

Professional jobs often get hundreds if not thousands of applicants in some places, computers scan resumes submitted electronically for key words and produce a short.ist of possible matches that Hr then further reduces to a pool that is manageable to interview. To get out of that loop because you don't have the right keywords, credentials, experience or whatever they are looking for (i.e. Breaking into a new field) you need a referral, or a recruiter.

I will second this with a real world example.
I make a great employee such as it sounds you do as well ..a person whom is a company man through and through...you say jump I ask how far. When the market hit the fan in 08 and my business went in the toilet I tried to get on with Boeing for most of 2011 & 2012...I must have responded to 100 job listings. I did not get one request for interview. I later learned of the whole computer selection thing and they even offered classes as how to exploit it...it disgusted me so much I quit applying.
If you are wanting to move up you need to be willing to play and learn the game...I'm too old for that crap..I just waited till the market recovered and it was business as usual again. Prepare because its happening again!..

I will be debt free this go round so could care less...I will just spend more time on the boat some place warm next time and fail to participate..:rockin:

I wish you the best of luck though...Really! And I understand why you felt you needed to quit your job first but I would not have done that with your commitments. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, as they say...that job just might not be there to fall back on if needed...we are ALL expendable..

Thanks for the feedback everyone
I'm really eyeing one spot in particular, though I've complied 7-8 postings. Note, not EE at this time. Wife is finishing up her teaching cert then I'm returning school part time.
The There's​ne posting I'm looking at is a small, boutique manufacturer. Less than 50 employees, but growing. I'm inclined to think the odds of walking in there and speaking to someone of influence is much greater than a Fortune 500 company. They have two openings, both of which I feel I could fill well. I have already indentified some issues in their marketing, or lack of. Of course, I wouldn't​ mention unless asked.
I am prepared to restart my career. No doubt that will be necessary. Problem is, networking was very different a decade ago and I've lost most of my contacts from that time, not to mention I was 22 then...
The whole pizza thing was a "Oh sh**! A recession. Hunker down!" Kind of gig. Never meant for it to be a career and should have left a few years ago but the money was good(six figures last three years).

Been there, sort of done that....Quit my big city TV news job when I was about 40, had 3 kids, lots of drive that was being stifled working for the liberal East coast news establishment. Started my own small manufacturing company, lots of financial ups and downs, the recession of 2008 finally put me out of biz. Landed a job I despise working for the State. Pays the Bills, Benefits, has a pension, can work all the OT I want. Along the way got a divorce, my ex-blames it all on me and the financial problems of having a business.
So, if you hate your current job, definitely find a way out.
Learn to live on less, think about when your last day on earth is going to be? Who really knows? Next week? Next Year, 5 years from now? Enjoy your kids while they are young. You can be a workaholic once the kids are grown and gone. Think about building a strong relationship with your spouse. Teach your children well. Reduce stress, it will shorten your life. All that glitters is not gold, that is a fact. Don't let your job define who you really are, that's superficial BS.
Someone mentioned HR management. My current lady friend does that for a Hospital. Decent pay, benefits, job security, weekends off, career ladder, in demand, and something you can probably do. Start off working for a nursing home chain. Learn all the compliance issues. Eventually transition to a hospital/health care network. No more pizza, or 7am to 3am workdays. Good luch and best wishes, keep on brewing
:mug:

Imho it will be difficult to walk into a new field with no track record, credentials, referral for six figures... irealize mgmt is mgmt but that is not entirely the way the world works, hiring is largely about risk management now... keep in mind that for the job at the manufacturer you are applying for, there will also quite likely be existing employees applying, whose track record is known, and a lot of applicants who have relevant experience in the field, who have demonstrated salary at similar jobs, maybe one rung below the open job, seeking to level up.

I've personally not seen a role the dice trend in quite awhile, where the employer is willing to take a shot on a wildcard because of an instinct.

Not trying to rain on the parade, just bringing some current reality since you mention you've been out of the market for quite awhile.

Finding jobs you'd like to do in the listings is the easiest part of it, getting an interview and making it through the whole process can be very difficult.

I would encourage you to again look at contract and contractors/recruiters, not only will they be useful in updating your resume and advising you on the current job market, they will broker deals for you and help you get to the interview, which is the objective. Then build in that until you have a competitive resume and demonstrated/validated skill set for the job you're seeking.

You may want to double down on finding work that is in your current sweet spot (food service mgmt) because this process can be a long one... certainly can be longer than 4 months because the competition for those six figure jobs is insane, at least where I live n in your case you are competing against people either with experience in that job, or an MBA or advanced degree... in most situations you would not get a second look unless you have a referrer or someone who has the ear of the hiring dept or mgr..

@passedpawn
Thanks for the motivation
@rawlus I don't anticipate to make six figures anywhere. I'm hoping for $50. As stated, this is a reset and I see it for what it is. At 32, it's getting closer to now or never, I feel. Though, I'm essentially attempting to walk back into the field I left a decade ago with the skillet I've developed since. The positions I am looking at are essentially entry level. Inside sales, repair tech. I've also mentioned in my cover letter that I would be open to working or helping interdepartmentaly.
I will take you advice on the recruiter. We ve just been focused on the LinkedIn page reaching out to contacts and getting the resume rebuilt.
To those with concerns over me being stupid, I could be a frycook at McDs and pay the bills. I have very little debt aside from the mortgage and it is stupid low(forclosure in 2009).
Thanks again.

You've got balls I don't know that I'd be brave enough to quit a job with nothing lined up ahead. But you have tons of management experience managing a ton of people. There's a lot of skills that come with all those duties involved in doing that. Not to mention the level of responsibility for years. I'm sure there will be a bunch of employers that will jump at the chance to have you. Good luck!

I only read your first post, but with your experience managing large groups a factory management position came to mind. You don't always have to be an industry expert to run a factory floor, just understand the work instructions and have attention to detail. Its often more about keeping people motivated and on task than anything else. Maybe something like this:

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk...hville%2C+TN&from=home%2Cwhatauto%2Cwhereauto

To those with concerns over me being stupid, I could be a frycook at McDs and pay the bills. I have very little debt aside from the mortgage and it is stupid low(forclosure in 2009).
Thanks again.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see any one call you stupid.....just concerned or a "Oh Wow" moment.. Only you know your situation so obviously you have thought this all out and have a handle on it. I'm much more privet then you, I would not have shared or asked total strangers on a public forum for advice like this to begin with. :) But by doing so you have to be prepared for all the opinions you drum up, and as your well aware at age 32, most of us cant agree on anything..:D

It will all work out for you, it may just take longer then you planed. Hopefully not and you land what you want soon. Just remember the grass is always greener from the outside looking in. They are all just jobs for someone else's dream in the end. That's why I'm self employed. Good or bad its my pyramid to build.
Carry on.

I think it won't hurt to try to get an interview at a small company.
If you want something, go and get it.

Thanks John
Was gonna drive down there today after a stop by Kinko's but got a call from my Dad early this morning about him falling. 8.5 hours later, no broken hip...

I hope your Dad is okay, I'm glad he didn't break anything.
My mother and stepfather are 81, I often drive them to doctors.
Good luck with your job search. Be alert to any opportunity, and believe in yourself.

What do you feel about candidates turning the interview on you? Namely, culture of the company, company goals and opportunities, opportunities for advancement?

This can be risky during the first interview. I'd save that for questions at the end of the interview, or for the second interview.

You may come across as a person who is just concerned about 'what's in it for me'. That can be a turn off for interviewers. You want to let them know how you can help them.

I've dropped candidates because they gave the impression that they were only using the job as a stepping stone to something else.

Jwin - best of luck. There's more to life than a paycheck from an unsatisfying j-o-b. you've made the appropriate provisions to take the leap you're taking, and i'm sure you'll be a happier/more available father/husband and just better person overall. Stuck in a bad j-o-b can lead to a lot worse things than maybe a smaller paycheck, by taking a chance you're taking!

Sure you took a risk posting this on an open forum - but to be honest - transparency is tough, but is highly commendable.

I wish you the best, and those who WANT to prevail...typically do.

cheers,

Lots of good advice. My only other recommendations is look at what field you really want to do and find a way to start volunteering in that field. It doesn't have to be lots or long term. If you are good at managing people, look for a beer festival, charity run, music fest that you needs help managing staff or a weekly project focusing on audio equipment. Then make connections with others that see your skills and let them know you are looking for work. Recommendations via word of mouth make much more of an impact when trying to get your foot in a door.

On first interviews, it is worth learning a bit about the company you are interviewing with. You can incorporate those facts just to show you did your homework, and then asking about how the company wants to grow? (presumably you would grow with it).

Best of luck.

This can be risky during the first interview. I'd save that for questions at the end of the interview, or for the second interview.

You may come across as a person who is just concerned about 'what's in it for me'. That can be a turn off for interviewers. You want to let them know how you can help them.

I've dropped candidates because they gave the impression that they were only using the job as a stepping stone to something else.

Thanks for the feedback. Not saying to fully turn it around, I but getting a feel for the culture of the business is important to me. Also, knowing that there are opportunities for advancement. Any tips of verbiage /approach on this?

Jwin - best of luck. There's more to life than a paycheck from an unsatisfying j-o-b. you've made the appropriate provisions to take the leap you're taking, and i'm sure you'll be a happier/more available father/husband and just better person overall. Stuck in a bad j-o-b can lead to a lot worse things than maybe a smaller paycheck, by taking a chance you're taking!

Sure you took a risk posting this on an open forum - but to be honest - transparency is tough, but is highly commendable.

I wish you the best, and those who WANT to prevail...typically do.

cheers,

Thanks for the love xpops. While this is an open forum, I don't think it's all that viewable. I'm pretty much a ghost to google, which could be good and bad. I think I have a MySpace page from decades ago... And a private Twitter. I don't do Facebook. I call people. 😀

Also, to add, the biggest reason for me posting here is that I know how awesome of a community this is. It's also full of like minded, ingenuitive people. It's been more beneficial networking than anything else I've done online, this far. The feedback and support has been very valuable and the OMG reactions are fun too. It's a risk, but much in life is. Also, a few members have reached out to me privately, which is amazing.
Unfortunately, I haven't gotten both my feet underneath me yet as a parent has become very ill, multiple cancers. But, right now, that's more important. This is time I won't get back or be able to makeup for. Honestly, makes me that much happier I left my prior engagement as I would not have been able to spend he time with them I have. Another added bonus is we've been dwindling down the deep freezer, so I'll have room for more hops! Kidding, kinda.

Thanks to all of you again. Prost!

Also, to add, the biggest reason for me posting here is that I know how awesome of a community this is. It's also full of like minded, ingenuitive people. It's been more beneficial networking than anything else I've done online, this far. The feedback and support has been very valuable and the OMG reactions are fun too. It's a risk, but much in life is. Also, a few members have reached out to me privately, which is amazing.
Unfortunately, I haven't gotten both my feet underneath me yet as a parent has become very ill, multiple cancers. But, right now, that's more important. This is time I won't get back or be able to makeup for. Honestly, makes me that much happier I left my prior engagement as I would not have been able to spend he time with them I have. Another added bonus is we've been dwindling down the deep freezer, so I'll have room for more hops! Kidding, kinda.

Thanks to all of you again. Prost!

Exactly! you can always make more money - you cannot make back lost time!

best of wishes to you and your family!

Thanks for the feedback. Not saying to fully turn it around, I but getting a feel for the culture of the business is important to me. Also, knowing that there are opportunities for advancement. Any tips of verbiage /approach on this?

I'd probably save it for the end of interview questions.

It's nice to have some follow-up questions, and those give you a chance to get the interviewer talking. Ask what the interviewer likes about the company. Ask a little about his background, and how he got to where he is. You'll give an impression of interest in the job as well as the interviewer. You'll also come across as more human than robot.

You want to let the interviewer know who you are. When I conduct interviews that's always my biggest concern. Who am I talking to? I ask a lot of open ended questions and just let the candidate talk. If I feel like I'm talking to someone who had just memorized a bunch of standard responses, I'll usually pass on them.

My first question is usually 'Tell me about yourself', followed by 'Tell me what you know about this company.' I got to the point where I could tell you what local college the candidate attended based on his responses. There's a lot of coaching going on out there.

You want to avoid sounding like everyone else. You need to be memorable.

I'd probably save it for the end of interview questions.

It's nice to have some follow-up questions, and those give you a chance to get the interviewer talking. Ask what the interviewer likes about the company. Ask a little about his background, and how he got to where he is. You'll give an impression of interest in the job as well as the interviewer. You'll also come across as more human than robot.

You want to let the interviewer know who you are. When I conduct interviews that's always my biggest concern. Who am I talking to? I ask a lot of open ended questions and just let the candidate talk. If I feel like I'm talking to someone who had just memorized a bunch of standard responses, I'll usually pass on them.

My first question is usually 'Tell me about yourself', followed by 'Tell me what you know about this company.' I got to the point where I could tell you what local college the candidate attended based on his responses. There's a lot of coaching going on out there.

You want to avoid sounding like everyone else. You need to be memorable.

Behavioral interviewing. Got you there.
Yea, best off hiring the best people, not the best resume/response. Well, assuming it's a company that wants to hire great people, even if some development is needed,vs someone who can step into position but has other non-compatibilities.
Thanks for the feedback

Hey Jwin - no update in a while - how did things turn out for you in the last few months?

Still kicking! About a week after I left my job, my father was diagnosed with multiple forms of cancer. He passed on the third of this month. I was able to spend time with him each day, which would have been impossible before. I decided to take a job at a craft beer store for income for the time being. Had my rotator cuff repaired a week ago. Going to hit the ground running again in another week or so.
Hasn't been great, but I'm grateful that I was able to spend that time with him and don't regret anything one bit. I am considering using my inheritance to open my own bottle shop with a format unique to Nashville (everything cold, sold as individuals+growlers and pints,if I can figure out how the legality of serving).

Still kicking! About a week after I left my job, my father was diagnosed with multiple forms of cancer. He passed on the third of this month. I was able to spend time with him each day, which would have been impossible before. I decided to take a job at a craft beer store for income for the time being. Had my rotator cuff repaired a week ago. Going to hit the ground running again in another week or so.
Hasn't been great, but I'm grateful that I was able to spend that time with him and don't regret anything one bit. I am considering using my inheritance to open my own bottle shop with a format unique to Nashville (everything cold, sold as individuals+growlers and pints,if I can figure out how the legality of serving).
Jwin, my condolences and prayers on the loss of your dad. Thank goodness you had the time & opportunity to spend time with him before he passed. I promise you, that time together with him will come back to you as a blessing the rest of your life. I've been keeping up with you ever since your first post. I'm pulling for you and your family, and somehow have a feeling your resilience and spirit will not only get you through this, but get you to a much better place. God bless you. Ed
:mug:

so nice that you had that opportunity! that alone was probably worth leaving your job - but so sad to hear that news :(

having the opportunity to open your own bottle shop sounds like a great goal! working at a craft beer store in the meantime doesn't sound too shabby either ;)

cheers,

Back