Quick turnaround--need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Guys....

Sam and I are planning kind of a short notice honey wheat recipe for a work party we have on the 26th of AUG. If we brew this sucker on the 5th (AUG), and get this into secondary after about 5-7 days, is that 2 weeks in-between going to be enough time for this one to taste right or is it gonna be too green?
SG is only going to be around right around 1.050 so it won't need to ferment in primary for too long. I'm hoping its going to taste right.
I'm allowing 48 hours to force carb it at around 30 PSI.
Personally I think it will be okay but I want the advice from the experts....

Discuss....

Thanks...

I brewed a batch once....primary for 7 days...secondary for 7 days...then kegged. The week in the keg before serving led to perfect carbonation at serving pressure. Bottom line...I agree you will be fine with 3 weeks, but give it more than 48 hours to carb, IMHO. More time would be better, but take what you can get. No chance of brewing it this weekend??

ORRLESE, IMHO, get it out of the primary after 3 days. Give your self 3 days to force carb instead of 2. Seal at 30 psi and then drop to 15 psi @ 38F. Cover the green by dry hoping in the secondary but don't over do it OK. Keep the dry hoping light. Add a fining agent to the secondary also to speed the clearing of yeast. You'll be cutting it close but sell the idea that it gets better as you drink it ...Hey Man it works, once thay start to fell the effects they'll believe you. Sorry Man , but this the only way to get it done.:D

Well, it's a wheat so clarity isn't a big concern. Neither one of us has brewed with honey before. I'm afriad it's going to get too dry. Green+dry=wierd. :D

Thanks for the advise....keep it coming!

ORRELSE said:
Guys....

Sam and I are planning kind of a short notice honey wheat recipe for a work party we have on the 26th of AUG.
Thanks...

Your right, I didn't read the honey wheat. Was thinkin Lake Walk for some stupid reason. Anyway trash the dry hop idea.. your right about that being weird. I would try the other suggestions though. I wasn't concerned about the cloudiness when I suggested adding finings. Finings will also help pull the yeast out of suspension faster than letting it settle itself over time. Keeping it real cold will also expedite the yeast settling. Green in my mind means yeastiness. (is that a word ) The faster you can pull the yeast the better chance of tasting the malt first.

If you have a way of filtering this would be the fastest way to pull the yeast. Your kegging and you don't have time to get the complexities from conditioning anyway ....you might as well filter it.

Finings will also help pull the yeast out of suspension faster than letting it settle itself over time. Keeping it real cold will also expedite the yeast settling. Green in my mind means yeastiness. (is that a word ) The faster you can pull the yeast the better chance of tasting the malt first.

Good point....didn't think of it that way. I'm going to secondary it as cold as I can at this point.....which means sitting it near, or on an A/C vent. Getting the yeast to drop out would probably help keep it from getting too dry, and retain some of the honey sweetness as well. Filterng really isn't an option, so finings would be the best bet. I think this is the best strategy for this brew.

Thanks much!!

I think you can carb this in 2 days, no prob, but you need to hit it with 30 psi and then shake the beejeezus out of it, then repeat that process about 3-4 more times, then leave it for the 2 days with 30 psi, and you should be good to go. I do this quite a bit and actually keg it, and start serving the next day!! So I think 2 days would be pretty good after 2 days !!

Heh...thanks, but it got ditched. ORRELSE went to pick up the stuff Saturday morning. He gets there at about 10:30, to find a sign saying they'd be closed til noon. Too long to wait around, but it's too long a drive to go back out there. Plus, they're closed Sunday and Monday. So, we said screw it. We were pushing it for time as it was, so we hit the end of our rope with it.

Oh well, there's always next time. :D

Sam75 said:
Heh...thanks, but it got ditched. ORRELSE went to pick up the stuff Saturday morning. He gets there at about 10:30, to find a sign saying they'd be closed til noon. Too long to wait around, but it's too long a drive to go back out there. Plus, they're closed Sunday and Monday. So, we said screw it. We were pushing it for time as it was, so we hit the end of our rope with it.

Oh well, there's always next time. :D

I'm still steaming about that too.....but I'll keep my mouth shut cause oyu never know who's lurking, ready to pounce..... ;)

even though the plan bunked, it would have worked. just have to have the beer chiiled to as close to 32 degrees when you force carb'd, so that would have taken another day or two prior to carbing. pop w/ co2 to seal the lid, set psi to 30-35 and start rocking it back and forth for 10 minutes, then put back in the fridge. the next night, vent the head space and tap! it would be as good as letting it sit 3-4 days, but it's drinkable.
good try though........

Back