Quick! Transporting Keg with Gas On?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powers

Reaction score
So, I had a meeting this morning for work and it was universally agreed that we should all leave work early and reconvene at another office at 300pm if I can bring a keg of homebrew.

I'm all for getting off work early and drinking brew, so I want to make it happen. Problem is I've got a beer I just kegged two days ago, and as of last nite, it was still short on carb. It's been on 30 psi, so I'm thinking about throwing it in my car with the gas still on and traveling across town, about a 20 minute drive.

Would this help to speed up the carb process, a nice 20 minute slosh session? Or might this cause too much carb? Any advice within the next two hours would be excellent. Thanks fellas! :mug:

also, the beer is at 42 degrees and has been in the keg fridge for the last two days.

Shake the hell out of it for 10 minutes now. By the time it is ready to serve it may be settled down enough.

i'd love to give it a shake now, but i'm not going to be able to leave work til 2:00, and then it will be served 1 hour later.

should i turn the gas off while driving the keg across town?

i'd love to give it a shake now, but i'm not going to be able to leave work til 2:00, and then it will be served 1 hour later.

should i turn the gas off while driving the keg across town?

I don't why you would.

i thought it might help to do some last minute CO2 infusion, but it would run the risk of being too foamy at dispensing.

i thought it might help to do some last minute CO2 infusion, but it would run the risk of being too foamy at dispensing.

I think you will be fine leaving it on. You're going to have to release pressure once you get there.

i thought i might release all the pressure upon arrival, then dial it back to a bare minimum psi for dispensing (~4-5 psi).

i warned the group that it may be a little lower on carb, but it's a brown ale so it's not supposed to be overly carbed. a variant of the surly bender, bend. ;)

thanks for the quick responses.

Maybe shake the hell outta it when you get home at 30 psi. Then dial it back down to 12 or so for the trip, or unhook it. That way it shouldnt be overcarbed. Maybe (probably) still undercarbed, but that was already stated to your workers.

BTW, where do you work and can I have an application?

hahaha! thanks kpr, i was just thinking about that plan (to shake when i got home and unhook).

are you a natural resources attorney? we are looking to hire ;)

thanks fellas! this homebrew hero is off for the journey <cue Joe Esposito's "You're the Best'>

i'll update the thread later to report the results.

hahaha! thanks kpr, i was just thinking about that plan (to shake when i got home and unhook).

are you a natural resources attorney? we are looking to hire ;)

thanks fellas! this homebrew hero is off for the journey <cue Joe Esposito's "You're the Best'>

i'll update the thread later to report the results.

I am in Natural Resources, actually a Civil Engineer who works on environmental projects. I don't think an extra couple years of Law school would be worth some free homebrew on a friday afternoon.

Good Luck! Hope you end up with the best head you've ever had!

very nice, i actually went to an engineer's office to talk about design plans on a few projects (stream flow augmentation reservoirs)

the beer was in great shape yesterday, it had a good head and was lightly carbonated, but just about right for the style. thanks for the tips!

I realize this is a day late and a pint short, but feels to me that traveling with a keg hooked to a CO2 tank is just a bad idea....unless I'm reading it wrong. Traveling with the beer under gas, okay. But physically lined it to the tank is asking for trouble. I'm picturing the keg sliding and breaking the ball lock, gas spewing loudly and causing a huge distraction.

By the way, how'd it turn out?

Kyle

a dog ran out in front of me and i swerved, causing the ball lock to break and gas and beer spewed everywhere as i wrapped my car around a tree!! okay, that didn't happen, but i did have the same concern as you when i disconnected the setup in my keg fridge. so, i just put about 20 psi on it and disconnected, and then i rolled it back and forth on the floor for about 1 minute before throwing it in the car.

as i noted above, the beer was very good and the carbonation was just about right. everyone was happy with it, so i guess that's what matters ;)

Back