quick question regarding 15 Gallon Unitank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avandss

Reaction score
i was going to purchase a 7 gallon, but dont want to regret it, if i get a 15 gallon, can i brew 5 gallons lets say in it?

i was going to purchase a 7 gallon, but dont want to regret it, if i get a 15 gallon, can i brew 5 gallons lets say in it?

Not certain which brand you are referring to, as they differ on temp control. Your key limitation will be thermowell placement and cooling (if internal coil) to ensure both are submerged. If a jacketed conical, then only the thermowell to worry about.

I have the 14 gallon unitank. You cannot ferment 5 gallons in it. The coil sits too high up to make contact, it will not maintain temps.

I believe the spike cf10 or 15 can still maintain temps on a 5 gallon batch.

As an example of how poor the unitanknis at maintaining 5 gallon temps, I made a 10 gallon batch. I kegged 5 gallons early as I knew it could finish carbonation in the keg. I was planning on bottling the other 5 a few days later after carbonation was finished. I was cold crashing the whole time at 35 degrees. After draining 5 gallons into the keg, temps slowly rose to about 47 degrees. So a 12 degree temp change in about 1 day just from less liquid contact.

Not trying to convince you to go spike, as I absolutely love my ssbrewtech unitank. Just know that there are differences between them.

I have the 14 gallon unitank. You cannot ferment 5 gallons in it. The coil sits too high up to make contact, it will not maintain temps.

I believe the spike cf10 or 15 can still maintain temps on a 5 gallon batch.

As an example of how poor the unitanknis at maintaining 5 gallon temps, I made a 10 gallon batch. I kegged 5 gallons early as I knew it could finish carbonation in the keg. I was planning on bottling the other 5 a few days later after carbonation was finished. I was cold crashing the whole time at 35 degrees. After draining 5 gallons into the keg, temps slowly rose to about 47 degrees. So a 12 degree temp change in about 1 day just from less liquid contact.

Not trying to convince you to go spike, as I absolutely love my ssbrewtech unitank. Just know that there are differences between them.

Thank you, i have decided to go with the 7 gallon! i dont think i will ever brew 15 gallons...

Thank you for the replies

Thank you, i have decided to go with the 7 gallon! i dont think i will ever brew 15 gallons...

Thank you for the replies
Have you considered getting the spike and a stand up freezer. It will be much cheaper, it cools just as well if not better and you still have the option to do any size batch you want. Additional the spikes removable lid makes it much easier to clean. Cheers

Have you considered getting the spike and a stand up freezer. It will be much cheaper, it cools just as well if not better and you still have the option to do any size batch you want. Additional the spikes removable lid makes it much easier to clean. Cheers

what model spike are you referring to?

You could also say that the spike cf series comes substandard, not offering all of the features that are in a basic setup with Ssbrewtech, which are a must have for a functional unitank.

See what I did there? Glass half full guy right here.

You could also say that the spike cf series comes substandard, not offering all of the features that are in a basic setup with Ssbrewtech, which are a must have for a functional unitank.

See what I did there? Glass half full guy right here.
Seems your opinion of must haves are different than mine. I prefer to choose what I need for my process rather then spend money on stuff I won't use. For 875 usd I got the unitank,pvr,carb stone and racking arm with the same functionality i would have gotten for 1399 from ss brewtech. what must haves did I miss?

Last edited:
Seems your opinion of must haves are different than mine. I prefer to choose what I need for my process rather then spend money on stuff I won't use. For 875 usd I got the unitank,pvr,carb stone and racking arm with the same functionality i would have gotten for 1399 from ss brewtech. what must haves did I miss?

I'm sure you are very familiar with the differences in offerings from spike vs ssbrewtech. I dont need to post a bulleted list here just for argument sake. My above post was in part a joke. Everybody has their own preferences in brands. It's obvious you like spike.

Spike is a great product. They are easier to clean due to being able to remove the entire lid. They can also do multiple batch sizes, which is a huge selling point, and one that I wish the ssbrewtech could do.

Ssbrewtech can pressurize all the way to 30 psi, more than double what spike can. The triclamp style lid is far superior to spikes band clamp with seal that can easily fall out and into the tank.

They each have different capabilities, and a lot of over lap. After all accessories are considered, they are within about 50-100 dollars of the exact same price.

I'm sure you are very familiar with the differences in offerings from spike vs ssbrewtech. I dont need to post a bulleted list here just for argument sake. My above post was in part a joke. Everybody has their own preferences in brands. It's obvious you like spike.

Spike is a great product. They are easier to clean due to being able to remove the entire lid. They can also do multiple batch sizes, which is a huge selling point, and one that I wish the ssbrewtech could do.

Ssbrewtech can pressurize all the way to 30 psi, more than double what spike can. The triclamp style lid is far superior to spikes band clamp with seal that can easily fall out and into the tank.

They each have different capabilities, and a lot of over lap. After all accessories are considered, they are within about 50-100 dollars of the exact same price.
Fair enough.i may have bought the ss if it was sold alacart like the spike. Admittedly i was under the impression that the ss brewtech had a 18psi pvr which is basically the same as the spikes 15psi. The gasket falling off the lid was revised early on. Mine fits snugly. Just a fyi for anyone looking. Cheers

Back