Quick question on sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
I need to start my yeast starter tonight and the only cleaner tonight I have is b bright. I am cleaning and soaking my flask with it now. I will need to sanitize my smack pack with it or something else.

Is there any thing else I can do to sanitize my equipment tonight or you think that is good?

Before every one starts writing about star San. It will be here tomorrow in time for my first brew Sunday. :ban:

You'll be fine as you are going to boil in the flask so the heat generated will be fine to kill anything off. As for the smack pack, I wouldn't worry about, I very rarely spray it down and have never had an infection from my laziness:)

what is your flask made of? can you put in in a pot of boiling water for 15 minutes?
^^^^ beat me to it

You could use the b-brite too in a pinch. Just remember to rinse before adding cooled wort or opening smack pack.

On a side note, thanks for the starter thread bc it reminded me I need to make one tonight!

silverbullet07 said:
Thanks. It is made of glass. Wonder if I can fill with water and put in microwave for few min.

If made or borocillate (sp) glass you can put it right on the flame and then go right into a ice bath.

smack-pack? sanitize who? i don't pour the yeast all over the pack, then into the wort. never sanitized the smack-pack in all my years of brewing, and never had a problem

lumpher said:
smack-pack? sanitize who? i don't pour the yeast all over the pack, then into the wort. never sanitized the smack-pack in all my years of brewing, and never had a problem

You forgot to add "yet..."

Thanks everyone. My first starter is made and I am hoping for the best. I soaked everything in b bright and rised well. I hope that was enough.

grem135 said:
But don't put on an electric stove. Or so i hear.

Why not? I thought electric stoves were fine as long as they have a glass stove top... Or even just a pan underneath the flask to disperse the heat

Matt3989 said:
Why not? I thought electric stoves were fine as long as they have a glass stove top... Or even just a pan underneath the flask to disperse the heat

Honestly, I'm not sure I've just been advised not to do I don't, flasks are too expensive to take the chance.

Back