Quick question: help getting blowoff tube off of airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtb178

Reaction score
I appear to have pushed the blowoff tube a little snugly into the top of the airlock. I can't get the tube apart from the airlock. Any ideas on what to do? I've pulled the airlock out of the primary it was in and put it and the tube in a bucket of hot water.

Thanks.

If you have a tool that is hooked, and will fit inside the airlock, hook it under the end of the tubing and pull it up. Work your way around to move it evenly.

How about dedicated stoppers? Or, I guess you could start a new thread about broken airlocks.. like the hydrometer one.. I haven't brewed a big enough beer to have a blowoff yet.. and probably won't.. but, if I did, I'd have a separate stopper with it's own tube and hose. When things settle down, I'd spray StarSan around the stopper, pull it and reinsert a sanitized airlock setup.

Blowoffs aren't just for big beers, and you'd be surprised how easily tubing narrow enough to fit on the airlock can clog up. My suggestion is going bigger on the blowoff hose.

Back