Quick Q: how do i follow the hop schd and cool the wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippyslug31

Reaction score
Hi guys, going to try a brew with a hop schedule for the first time.

Silly question, but how expose the hops to your wort for only a set amount of time? For example if you have a hop at the 5 min left point and then you have to cool it, do you take the hops back out after they've sat for ONLY the five minutes and continue to cool? Clearly you aren't just dumping the hops in the wort but instead you are using a bag (so you can remove them quickly).

Are you also bagging your hop pellets?
And how do you do a "zero min addition"... are you simply adding the hops after you've brought the temp down?

Perhaps I just am confused about hop schedules?

Thanks for any guidance...

I don't use hop bags, I throw the hops right in the boil kettle. Once the hops are added, just leave them. zero minute hops or flame out hops are added when the fire is turned off, then just leave them alone and cool wort as normal.

Eastside

All hop additions refer to length of time left in the boil. 60 minutes means 60 minutes left to boil. Bittering hop go in early, aroma hops go in late. Hops stay in until you rack the cooled wort into the fermenter. Sometimes I throw hop spooge and all in the fermentor.

You leave all the hops in for the entire brew and chilling schedule, and in the case of flame out additions you toss them in and then start your cooling process.

Using a hop sack is optional, I stopped after my 4th or 5th batch and now just pitch in, and either dump everything into the primary, or now that I have an immersion chiller, I just chill and rack off with my autosiphon, leaving hops, and the hot and cold breaks and any other trubbehing in the kettle.

Latest posts

Back