Quick porter hop profile question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neildytham

Reaction score
I've just started a (partial) mash for a porter I'm making and wanted some quick input on hop profile, here's my malt profile:
4lb Pale 2-row
8oz Choc malt
4oz Malted Barley
4oz 40L Crystal
8oz Special B
1lb Honey
3.3lb Light Liquid Malt extract.

So for hops I have a ton of home-grown chinook and originally planned to go "all-chinook" with:
1oz 60 min
1/2oz 20 min and
1/2oz 1 min

But have recently found some Cascades that I could sub in for the 20 min/1 min additions?
Any thoughts?
Would all that Chinook be too much - I think the porter is pretty dark and robust to take it, but would the cascade be a little more mellow? Should I change the addition times/amounts?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I've just started a (partial) mash for a porter I'm making and wanted some quick input on hop profile, here's my malt profile:
4lb Pale 2-row
8oz Choc malt
4oz Malted Barley
4oz 40L Crystal
8oz Special B
1lb Honey
3.3lb Light Liquid Malt extract.

So for hops I have a ton of home-grown chinook and originally planned to go "all-chinook" with:
1oz 60 min
1/2oz 20 min and
1/2oz 1 min

But have recently found some Cascades that I could sub in for the 20 min/1 min additions?
Any thoughts?
Would all that Chinook be too much - I think the porter is pretty dark and robust to take it, but would the cascade be a little more mellow? Should I change the addition times/amounts?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Back