Quick Pitching Temperature Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vegetarisk

Reaction score
Let's say I pitched BRY97 dry ale yeast into a 5 gallon batch of 1.062 brew at 80F for some reason. Then I placed the bucket into a bath tub filled with water that mysteriously drained over night.

I was able to get the drain to close all the way and have been feeding ice packs to the water bath 2x a day and the temp has been holding steady at around 64F (plus at least 4F from the active fermentation I'm sure)

Should I expect any off flavors from pitching at 80F and then getting the temp back down within the first 24 hours. Based off the bubbling from the blow off tube, I'd say fermentation didn't really start going until around 16 hours from pitching and the wort has been chilled to the mid 60's by that point?

Supposedly this yeast ferments cleanly into the high 70's. It's always better to pitch at a lower temperature and warm up the batch. I often do partial boils, so I cool the wort into the 80's and top off with chilled water so i start in the 60's. Temp control is most important during the early/active stages of fermentation. Sounds like you had the temps down relatively quickly, so I wouldn't worry too much, especially if you are brewing a hop-forward beer. I seem to notice off flavors more in brown ales and stouts. You can probably stop feeding ice packs after day 3 or 4.

It's always better to pitch at a lower temperature and warm up the batch. I often do partial boils, so I cool the wort into the 80's and top off with chilled water so i start in the 60's.

I added about 1 gal of chilled water, so I'm sure the wort dropped a little lower than 80. I'm not sure why I had it in my head to pitch at 80, I should know better than that! :smack:

Latest posts

Back