Quick/limited hop additions--anyone try 'em?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nigel31

Reaction score
So, I'm not a big fan of bitterness or tons of hop flavor in my brews, and am wondering what effect specific, short-lived/quick hop additions will have on them.

If, for example, I add 1 oz. of East Kent Goldings at 60 minutes and remove them 10 or 15 minutes later. Or, instead of that, 1/2 an ounce at 45 that are removed at 15 or 20 minutes later.

Anyone tried this or have any ideas on how it'll affect bitterness or flavor? (And please don't just say "crap"--haha.)

Thanks a bunch!

Doesn't really make sense to me. I'd just add smaller amounts and leave them in throughout the entire boil.

Yeah, I'd have to think it'd be like adding a smaller amount. You'd just be wasting money on hops by not utilizing their full potential.

Well, I do know that leaving hops (even the low-alpha varieties I use) for the full 60 or 90 minutes provides increased bitterness (over 30- or 15-minute additions for flavor or aroma). I essentially want just enough hop "effect" in there so it's not straight-up malt/sugar. I've been using 1 oz. of Fuggles or EKGs for the entire boil, but I was wondering what difference it'd make if I removed them after a bit.

Hops aren't expensive, so I'm not concerned with "wasted potential," per se.

Thanks for the feedback.

The difference would be getting less bitterness. I don't see you gaining anything special from pulling hops out of the boil. I would just add less to begin with if I wanted less bitterness.

I'd think it'd be like doing late hops, but without the added benefit of flavor or aroma since it'd all boil away

Grab a copy of David Sutula's "Mild Ale" from the Classic Beer Style Series. Low IBUs, low hop aroma, great beers!

At best you're going to spend more money buying hops you use less. Doesn't really make sense. Part of the reason why you want to boil at least some of the hops for the full boil is it isomerizes the alpha acids, which keeps your beer from getting infected.

If you don't like the hop flavor that much you could always look into gruit, which uses different plants/spices for bittering.

Back