quick help with messed up mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacchusmj

Reaction score
So before I got enough coffee in my system, I doughed in with 4 gallons of water instead of 3. So Ive got a really soupy mash. Once I realized what I did I added a bunch of crushed ice to get it down to the right mash temp.

So, how do I compensate?

Its a batch sparge, i was supposed to mash in with 3 gallons, mash-out with 1.5 gallons and sparge with the remaining 3 gallons. Any tricks to get back on schedule? Any problems with this? concerns?

The tricky part is that your mash-out will require more volume as well. However if half your strike water was going to get you to mash-out temp, I'm assuming you aren't adding it at boiling. Calculate your mash-out with 212 degree water. Should be okay to drop sparge to 2 gal.

Just don't mash out. You don't need to anyway, with batch sparging. Just drain the mash, measure the runnings, and then sparge with enough water to get to your boil volume. If you want, you can use 185 degree sparge water, to do a mash out as that should bring your grainbed up to mash out temps anyway- but it's not necessary as you'll be bringing the wort up to a boil momentarily anyway. That's one of the beauties of batch sparging- simple, quick, easy, no mash out, and quick to figure out your volume.

is this gonna kill my efficiency?

FWIW, I have been crushing efficiency lately so maybe this is a check from the brew gods for being cocky.

Back