quick help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustard

Reaction score
hey guys I was just about to start brewing and found I lost a 90 degree elbow for my mash manifold. Can I plug the holes with tin foil? will it give it a metal taste? any other ideas?

I doubt tin foil alone would create a watertight seal. If you cant wait to fix it, Id try maybe some plumbers putty? Definitely check the fine print on it though to look for a food safe product and preferably one that can be used at higher temps. Im thinking the temps shouldnt be an issue since its meant to be used in sinks and stuff where the water can get pretty hot

Don't really need water tight just block grain from getting in. I have slits cut ever 1/2 in or so to strain wort out leaving grain in the tun. Do you think tin foil would give off flavors to the beer?

hey guys I was just about to start brewing and found I lost a 90 degree elbow for my mash manifold. Can I plug the holes with tin foil?

Sure why not, as long as this joint isn't critical to flow I don't see an issue. A little foil won't change the flavor of your brew. Make sure you do it in such a way that the foil it self doesn't get sucked into the manifold creating a clog or bottleneck.

Aluminum foil will not give you off flavors. The foil is used in cooking all the time for lining pans or as hobo packets for cooking.

People usually put perforated tin foil over the top of the mash bed during sparging, so I would not think this would induce any "metal" taste.

How big is the hole where the elbow originally was? You can use a holed rubber bung/stopper and then run the rubber drain tubing through it.

I take it the hardware store is too far of a commute to go replace your lost piece?

Back