quick help. OATS question. NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panderson1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do I need to add these to the mash? Or steep? I'm even reading old fashioned rolled oats should be cooked it water prior?

See attached...

Attachments

• 20210506_165917.jpg
    20210506_165917.jpg
    763.8 KB · Views: 23
I believe "instant", "quick", and "old fashioned" oats all do just fine added to the mash as long as the net Lintner is above 40 (only malted oats carry useful mash enzymes). They'll gelatinize under normal mash temps in minutes.

Steel cut, otoh, probably needs cooking prior to adding to the mash...

Cheers!

Porridge oats are steamed then rolled I believe. Quick oats are cooked a bit more before drying hence they cook faster. As @day_trippr says steelcut oats might need pre cooking ( quite a lot ) but naked oats are basically the same and my recipes just say mill and they go in the mash. Slow cooked I suppose.
Some people put the oats in last to the mash tun so they are on the top and can manage any gumminess. I just mix mine in, use some glucanase and rarely have to add any oat hulls ( some reason rice hulls not available here in NZ I think it's a biosecurity issue )

Flaked oats can affect efficiency and cause a 3-5% drop. Once you’ve mashed for about 40 minutes, you can then add them to the top of the mash for the last 20-30 minutes. You’ll gain the same body this way but stay in your consistent range for your system.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the technical difference (if any) there is between "rolled" and "flaked" oats as usually sold, but I've always used them the same way. As long as they're cooked enough to gelatinize them (which both "rolled" and "flaked" usually are in my experience), you can mash them. Uncooked oats (like many adjuncts) don't gelatinize at normal mash temps IIRC, thus the need for the special cereal mash.

Rice hulls help. Bioglucanase is better. Either way if you're using more than maybe 10% flaked anything (or are brewing BIAB), some lautering assistance of some form is a good idea. As bad as lack of husk in wheat can be, beta glucans are far far worse.

Flaked oats can affect efficiency and cause a 3-5% drop. Once you’ve mashed for about 40 minutes, you can then add them to the top of the mash for the last 20-30 minutes. You’ll gain the same body this way but stay in your consistent range for your system.

I've never heard that before, but it may have happened to me in the past. What's the mechanism for this? Anyone else experience it? I've never tried this workaround.

[shrug] I've never read it before nor believe I've experienced it, and I used to use a lot of flaked oats before switching to malted oats...

Cheers!

I've never heard that before, but it may have happened to me in the past. What's the mechanism for this? Anyone else experience it? I've never tried this workaround.
I’ll find the article I read on it. There was two strains of thought. The first was not a true drop in efficiency, but brewing software incorrectly assuming the ppg of flaked oats to be 35/36 where it should be closer to 32/34. Which I believe is partially true.

the second was aimed at when you use 25% or better of flaked oats you can have efficiency drops due to it not having enzymatic power since it’s not malted. In short, the starches aren’t converted as effectively from the base malts. Which I also believe to be true as I’ve experienced it. Longer mashtime should correct this.

I’ve switch to useing malted oats and do not have issues any longer. Malted oats also can help against oxidation when compared to flaked

Last edited:
Back