Quick first brew question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to brew my first batch. John Palmer's Cincinnati Pale Ale

Is there any reason I can't transfer it immediately into a carboy? I have a starter kit with a fermenting pail, and carboy. I'd like to be able to brew another beer right away using the pail?

I know his recipe calls for leaving it in the bucket, just wondering if there is a scientific reason for not transferring it right away.

There's no reason you can't do a primary ferment in your carboy. Put it in there, let it ferment, and leave it for three weeks, then bottle it. You'll be glad you did.:mug:

Ferment the Cincy PA in the bucket and leave it. There is no reason to move it. Ferment the next batch in the carboy and leave it.

Forgive my ignorance, but how would I get the second batch straight from the brewpot to the carboy?

I have used a sanitzed water pitcher and poured through a strainer and funnel.

As long as you have everything sanitized that touches the post-boil wort you should be OK!

You of course will chill/cool your wort before pitching the yeast?

Good luck!

If you ferment right in the glass carboy, then you get to see all the fun happening. Make sure to keep it in a dark place, you dont want light hitting it, at least thats what I hear. I read so much stuff, I can remember.

Thanks for all the solid tips folks.

Next question. I'd really like to do a full boil, and I have a turkey fryer, and a 30qt. brewpot. I'd like to make an immersion chiller, will it be sufficient to cool the full 5+ gallons?

i use an immersion chiller (homemade) for full 5 gallons. It works alright. I'd like it to work a bit quicker, but that's really just me being picky.

I made an IC using 20' of 3/8 copper tubing and I usually get ~5.5 gal. cooled to pithching temps in ~20 minutes!

Yes you can always buy an IC but I enjoyed making mine and it gave me the chance to learn a new skill, "sweating" copper tubing, in case I ever need to do plumbing repairs I know how to do that part!

Latest posts

Back