Quick Equipment Question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RwillieK

Reaction score
Hello all - quick question - can ferment in a clear glass 1 gallon jug? I will keep the brew in a dark closet.....

man I can't wait to get a new house, and real fermenters!!!!

Robbie

Sure you can. When I was experimenting wtih wine I made all kinds. Certainly did not want to make 5 galons of stuff I had no clue how it was going to taste, so I put them in 1 gal jugs. Must have had a dozen jugs in the closet.

How much are you making... I mean are you making a 5 gal batch and putting it in 5, 1 gal jugs?

Right now I am only doing 1 gallon batches....I don't have the room for more five gallon buckets (already have five or six around for my reef tank), or room for the bottles......

But I'm moving in a few months to an actual house....so I'll start brewing real batches then.

Robbie

Sure you can ... if you want something a little bigger with a spigot try a Mr. Beer keg (2.5 gallons).

:rolleyes:

RwillieK said:
Hello all - quick question - can ferment in a clear glass 1 gallon jug? I will keep the brew in a dark closet.....

man I can't wait to get a new house, and real fermenters!!!!

Robbie

i've been thinking about doing half batches when i start all grain. i don't see why you can't do a 1 gallon batch! you could even do a little experament. take 1 gallon of a 5 gallon batch and age it for a little while in the 1 gallon jug, compair it to the rest of the batch and see just what aging does for the brew!!

Back