Quick disconnect with 5/16" Barbs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev211

Reaction score
So Im looking to get some stainless steel quick disconnects for my new closed transfer kegging setup. Basically I want to be able to switch the CO2 line from pressurizing/purging the keg to the carboy cap without having to pull the ball lock off the co2 line. The only QD I've been able to find is a plastic one on more beer (dont know why I want SS, but I do) and a female only QD on midwest. I can find plenty of QD's with 1/2" barbs but no 5/16". Should I just go ahead and buy the 1/2" and jam it in the line? Has anyone tried this? Or has anyone found SS, CO2 line specific QD's?

fwiw, this is what I use for CO2 pushes from carboy to carboy or keg.
Don't have to remove anything, just plug the gas QD on the post and you're good to go...

co2_push_rig_01.jpg

Cheers!

Very clever Trippr! If I didn't have a conical, I'd copy your version. Very slick and an excellent way of getting the job done! :mug:

John

That's an awesome idea trippr. Only problem is that I use the co2 for other brewing operations where I'm not using a ball lock, so I've made it fairly difficult on myself, ha!

do you use standard pneumatic fittings for your CO2?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#quick-disconnect-hose-couplings/=13nr4ol

that is mcmaster's selection of stainless barbed industrial style fittings. i use them at work and they work, about all i can say of them. have you looked into USPlastic's double shutoff disconnects? they are plastic but they seem to work fine for me in another use

do you use standard pneumatic fittings for your CO2?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#quick-disconnect-hose-couplings/=13nr4ol

that is mcmaster's selection of stainless barbed industrial style fittings. i use them at work and they work, about all i can say of them. have you looked into USPlastic's double shutoff disconnects? they are plastic but they seem to work fine for me in another use

Ya I do. And I think those double shutoff ones are the same as on more beer. I bought the 1/2" barbs to see if I can't cram them in there, and if that doesn't work I'll either just bite the bullet and use trippr's idea or go plastic

Alright @day_trippr Im giving up on the barbed QD's and trying your method. Where did you get the threaded barb (or what looks like a threaded barb) to attach the gas post to?

fwiw, this is what I use for CO2 pushes from carboy to carboy or keg.
Don't have to remove anything, just plug the gas QD on the post and you're good to go...

View attachment 365678

Cheers!

Pretty much what I used to do for my glass fermenters and better bottles. But with Fermonster I just drilled an extra hole in #10 stopper and converted it to this setup.

Be careful with that hose clamp around cap for glass - you want to make sure if pressure begins to build up you have a weak spot where entire cap comes off - otherwise you are building a glass bomb!

Attachments

• IMG_0901.JPG
    IMG_0901.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0905.JPG
    IMG_0905.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 61
Alright @day_trippr Im giving up on the barbed QD's and trying your method. Where did you get the threaded barb (or what looks like a threaded barb) to attach the gas post to?

All parts were picked up from chicompany.

You start with the 1/4" MFL-1/4" barb (SSHStem - 04C03125IH here).
You thread that into an FFL tank post adapter, that in turn threads into a gas post.
You need to match the two.
You can select the tank post adapter here, and the tank post here.
I've been using Firestone posts with the matching 1/4" FFL-9/16-18 adapter.

And don't forget the 1/4" flare gasket...

Cheers!

Back