Quick couplers for 5/16 CO2 lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
What do you guys recommend for this? I don't mean the connection to the keg coupler itself, I have ball lock style connectors already for that. I mean imagine you have a CO2 line that you wanted to cut in half and install a coupler with a male end on one side and a female end on the other that you can quickly plug and play. What are the options for this and what do you recommend? Much thanks!

Half of my gas regulators sport barbed outputs. I put short (~8") tubing dongles ending in male flare fittings on them so I could then screw on push-to-connect fittings for the 8mm OD EVABarrier tubing I use throughout my brewery. Makes changing things up easy...

Cheers!

Yep to the above. Install Eva barrier tubing with duotight connectors everywhere you can.

Yep to the above. Install Eva barrier tubing with duotight connectors everywhere you can.

OK so those just pop on and off the lines but they seal fully?
Does the line have to be EVABarrier or will it work with any standard sized co2 lines?

Yes, the tubing can readily be removed from the PTC fittings.
The tubing has to be compatible with the fittings wrt outside diameter and the surface must be smooth. Folks have used PTC connectors with other types of line - primarily Bev Seal Ultra 235...

Cheers!

Yes, the tubing can readily be removed from the PTC fittings.
The tubing has to be compatible with the fittings wrt outside diameter and the surface must be smooth. Folks have used PTC connectors with other types of line - primarily Bev Seal Ultra 235...

Cheers!

That's exactly what I have is the Bev Seal Ultra, thanks!
Do the couplings also fit over a barb end, like say the one that feeds into my taps? Or would you need a little piece of tubing to attach that?

I believe that Bev Seal Ultra i have for beer lines is also 5/16 OD but the CO2 lines are 9/16 OD , do they make couplings for that size as well? I found these metal ones that look like they would do the trick but they're not the DuoTight ones: CO2 Male Quick Disconnect for Beer Gas Lines, 5/16

Last edited:
I wouldn’t put them directly onto a barb. You can put a few inches of line on the barb, then a push to connect joiner.

As I related earlier, one needs to use a short piece of tubing to get from barb to PTC fitting. There is no fitting style that can go over a barb reliably.

I use the same EVAbarrier tubing for beer and gas - 4mm ID for beer and 5mm ID for gas, both 8mm OD. Makes the fitting bits common to both.

Check this fitting finder, there may be wider types available...

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/collections/fittings
Cheers!

As I related earlier, one needs to use a short piece of tubing to get from barb to PTC fitting. There is no fitting style that can go over a barb reliably.

I use the same EVAbarrier tubing for beer and gas - 4mm ID for beer and 5mm ID for gas, both 8mm OD. Makes the fitting bits common to both.

Check this fitting finder, there may be wider types available...

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/collections/fittings
Cheers!

And because they are both 8mm OD, use the 5mm to get over any tough barbs (softened with hot water and expanded with something like a punch) and then connect to the PTC fitting after a short length. Particularly, I found the 5mm ID worked much better to get onto picnic taps, although I've changed over to Pluto guns now.

Back