Quick back sweetening question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabeb25

HE of who can not be spoken of.
Reaction score
So I am a log time beer maker first time cider maker and have a few questions. The details are:
6.5 gallons fresh pressed cider from a local orchard (.5 gallons reserved and frozen for back sweetening)
Hit with potassium metabulsulfate for 24hrs then fermented 6 gallons with s04
Og 1.046
Fg 1.000

It's a little to tart and would like to back sweeten with the reserved juice this cider will be kegged(currently cold conditioning)and my questions are:

Do I hit the main with sulfate again and/or sorbate?

The reserved has been frozen, do I also hit that with the same treatment?

Can I use gelatin to clear?

What are you guys carbing(vols) to?

Thanks!

sulfate/sorbat would be a good idea if you want to back sweeten. No need to add it to the frozen juice just add enough for the total volume to the fermented juice. I haven't messed around with gelatin or any clearing agents I just let it sit in secondary until its clear. 2-5 months.

I've used gelatin a few times and it works pretty fast after adding it is takes about 3-5 days to clear then all you have to do is rack to your keg leaving the sediment and carb , I usually carb with 30 psi for 3 days then turn it back to about 12 psi if you want the carb it quickly within about a week.

If you're keeping the keg cold, no need to sorbate/campden as long as the cider stays cold. If you'll be bottling off the keg, for gifts and things, then you'll want to rack the clear cider onto some campden and sorbate in the keg. Wait a few days, then sweeten.

Back