Questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casablanca

Reaction score
How much space should i leave from the top of both 12 once and liter bottles when bottleing... Also I brewed tonight and forgot to make a starter can I leave the wort in my car boy for a day or so whike the starts gets going... or should i go ahead and and just pitch the yeast?

I am new to all this so take my advise with a grain of salt...

1. I you use a bottle filler fill the bottles to the top. When you pull the filler out it should lower the level in the bottles (by the lack of displacement) to the proper level. I know this works using 12 oz bottles you may need less for larger bottles?

2. From my understanding you don't want the wort sitting around for long at below boiling temps without pitching. The reason being that you don't want the wild yeast or bacteria to get a start before the yeast does.

Your filler tube will displace the liquid to the neccesary level. FIll to the top, remove tube, cap.

As long as the wort temp is down you can pitch your yeast. There's no sense in making a starter now.

Lesson 1: Plan better in the future...;)

at this point the wort has become beer so it is much less of a concern that wild yeast will hurt your beer. I recommend, given the low fg of your beer, that you leave slightly more air in the bottle because this will be necessary to attenuate the limited amount of sugar you have left for carbonation. at any rate you dont have to worry about bottle bombs
good luck

I usually leave about an inch of headroom in my 12oz bottles. Only one broken bottle, but I think that might have had something to do with my cat. :D

Back