questions on SP gravity, when and how

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electricbucky

Reaction score
Hello

I have only made about six batches of beer most were mister beer kits 2gal. I have always fermented for 3 weeks, bottled then condition for 4 weeks with no problems. And I never used a hydrometer.
I am in the process of making my first 5 gal. batch, I took the first reading when I put wort in fermentor but before I piched the yeast it was 1.036 this will be a low ABV beer a scottish ale.
I have been reading pros and cons about secondary fermenting and the risk of oxidation and infections so my question is if I am worried about oxidation and infections how do I take more SP readings, wont taking the cover off the fermentor let in unwanted oxygen and how do you get wort in the Hydrometer tube with minimal risk of infection?

Sorry if this is a stupid question
Thank You

Hello

I have only made about six batches of beer most were mister beer kits 2gal. I have always fermented for 3 weeks, bottled then condition for 4 weeks with no problems. And I never used a hydrometer.
I am in the process of making my first 5 gal. batch, I took the first reading when I put wort in fermentor but before I piched the yeast it was 1.036 this will be a low ABV beer a scottish ale.
I have been reading pros and cons about secondary fermenting and the risk of oxidation and infections so my question is if I am worried about oxidation and infections how do I take more SP readings, wont taking the cover off the fermentor let in unwanted oxygen and how do you get wort in the Hydrometer tube with minimal risk of infection?

Sorry if this is a stupid question
Thank You

not a stupid question at all.

Taking the lid of your fermenter will not infect it or oxidize it. it's just not that easy to get an infection. I do spray all around the lid with star san before unsealing and I spray all over the lid before replacing. oxidation won't just happen unless you agitate the beer. I use a cheap plastic wine thief or a (new) turkey baster (mine is stainless steel so if I'm feeling paranoid I can boil it).

With the baster I squeeze the bulb before putting the end in the beer then release the bulb. remove and empty into your sample jar. replace the lid and, as they say, robert is your fathers brother!

measure and then drink (the REAL measure)

The fermentation process causes CO2 to be created. CO2 is heavier than oxygen and will set in the beer surface creating a blanket which will generally protect your beer from oxygenation for short periods of time while taking a sample. To take a sample, there are numerous products available. You can purchase something called a wine thief, or go the cheap route and use a turkey baster. Either way, sanitize it, take enough to fill your hydrometer tube, then close up the primary again.

I usually wait 2 weeks before taking any SG reading. Then I'll move it to secondary or just leave it in primary depending on what I'm making. I'll take another SG reading at about 4 weeks and most of the time it's the same as the one at 2 weeks, and ready to bottle. If you're brewing extract there is less of a need to take an OG reading, if your water and extract volumes are correct the OG should be spot on.

Back