Questions on D-Rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holycrepe

Reaction score
I have an Oktoberfest that has been fermenting for 2 weeks, and an Australian Lager kit that has been for 10 days.

They have been fermenting at 50 degrees.

A couple of questions...

1. Is bringing them up to 65 high enough? or should i go higher?

2. how fast should i raise the temp? most posts say "slowly", if i move my temp controller in my freezer up to the D-rest temp, it would go fairly slowly... or should i do it in steps?

3. I wont be able to rack them off the yeast until next weekend, Could I do the D-Rest early in the week, and then cold crash it down to lagering temp (low 30's) and then rack after that? Or am i best to just wait on the D-Rest until next weekend, so i can just rack it at that time?

thanks again to all the great people on this board!

You're going to want to raise your temp by about ten degrees from fermentation temp while your yeast are still active, about 2/3-3/4 of the way to FG. This way they stay active and clean up all the diacetyl.

You can set your controller to 60 or 65 and let it slowly ramp up, no need to add heat...it should get there on its own as long as fermentation is still somewhat active.

I pull my batches out of the fridge and let them rest at room temp for two days.. Then I lager for 1 to 3 months at about 33-34 degrees. It has worked great for me.

Back