Questions on color with Blackberry wheat.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theblindguy

Reaction score
Im pretty new to this, only having brewed a few batches so far. Thankfully all of them have turned out wonderful.

Well with my last batch of Muntons wheat extract I decided that I was going to try to make a blackberry wheat. I boiled a around 2 cups of water and once the boil cooled to about 160f added 2 cans of no-preserve 100% blackberry juice (after de-seeding of course) to kill all the beasties. I then crash cooled this juice and added it to my secondary.

When all was said and done the color of the blackberry and the wheat mixed together looked aweful. Its kinda a purplish-brownish sludge. Now If it tastes good I know I am going to love drinking it no mater what the color but my question was will the secondary clear this color up at all? Will the remaining yeast clarify the beer to make it look more appealing?

No, blackberries are really dark purple & your wheat will look just as bad as my Revenge cider looks. You could filter it or use finings, but it will still be a strange purple color.

It will taste good, though.

Back