Questions of taking Hydrometer readings...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SheBrew

Reaction score
Hi there,

So I moved an awesome witbier from my primary to the carboy last night, and logistically, how do I get enough beer out to take a hydrometer reading to see if its all done fermenting? I know a lot of you say not to even bother with the carboy, but I like using it. hahaha. Do I need to siphon some out, or is there an easier way?

Also, how can you tell if a beer is conditioned in the bottles? I bottled an IPA last Tuesday night and they still all look the same....my directions say two weeks, but should it look different? Thanks guys!

:)

Most people with carboys use a wine thief to take samples. You can also use a siphon but it would be a lot more work. Since you don't have a wine thief it would've been best to take the sample while transferring to the carboy.

A beer will generally clear during conditioning but will probably look about the same after only a week. I'd let it sit for 3 weeks minimum.

Patience is my hydrometer.

I haven't taken a reading (and wasted a beer) in years.

Conditioned bottles would only look different if you shook them to test carbonation.(not recommended)

Again PATIENCE is better than any piece of equipment.

i use a wine theif to get my samples.
once its bottled, there's really no way to tell just by looking at it, if its carbed yet or not. give it two weeks and then throw one in the fridge for a day and try it. if its not carbed yet, give them another week and repeat.

now back to hydro readings - you shouldn't be transferring to secondary until fermentation is done. a couple readings from the primary to make sure its finished, adn then rack to secondary. no need for hydro readings again unless you adding stuff to the secondary that have sugars and will create more fermentation.
Otherwise, I just take a final sample before bottling to check the FG and get a taste.

+1 on the wine thief being great for getting samples. That's what I use.

If you don't have one, you can also use a turkey baster. If the baster doesn't reach, you can attach a little bit of tubing to the end of it. You can also just use tubing, put it in and then cover the end with your thumb. If you're fairly quick you can get a sample that way.

Also +1 on taking your reading BEFORE transferring so you don't transfer it before it's done fermenting.

You'll see that while there are many good rules of thumb, nearly everyone does everything differently and yet the beer turns out good 99% of the time. The differences allow you to tweak your beer the way you like it.

To answer your question, I take a wine thief sample and often (not always) return it to the fermenter.

No, beers conditioning in the bottle won't look particularly different. Sometimes I give them a little back and forth wiggle and see if any foam appears in the top of the bottle, but I'm fairly sure that you could do that with flat beer as well. Generally, wait 3 weeks to drink but sample one every week if it makes you happy (and it will:)).

Back