questions from newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sergei

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi gurus,
I have a few questions: 1) during mash do enzymes process caramelized sugars, dextrins? 2) are the unfermentable sugars that are obtained as a result of alpha amylase suitable for beta amylase enzymes? 3) if I aerate wort before pitching (as it mentioned in books/forums/sites) and use dry yeast from Fermentis or Lallemand, what happened with the added oxygen (dry yeasts from Fermentis do not need oxygen in wort)? 4) is it ok to make mash in one day, and brew on another one?
Thank you in advance,
Sergei.

1. You can add enzymes during mash to breakdown maltodextrin. You will reduce body and mouthfeel--you'll make Coor's Light.
2. No, such as the case of amylopectin.
3. A) Oxygenation helps homogenize your wort/yeast. I always shake the **** out of my carboy after pitching.
B) Yeast use oxygen right after pitching. When gravity rises, O2 solubility decreases and O2 should leave through the airlock.
4. I would not. I believe time is the enemy. You've created a giant petri dish and if you sleep on it, an invader my set up shop. Even the best sanitation methods could be undermined by any number of bad decisions.

3) ... (dry yeasts from Fermentis do not need oxygen in wort)?
Correct. Open the package, put the yeast in the wort (either dry or rehydrated, your choice). No need to add oxygen to the wort before pitching. Lallemand dry yeast is similar.

When one reuses/repitches yeast, there is a need to add oxygen to the wort before pitching.

Thank you very much for responding.

1. You can add enzymes during mash to breakdown maltodextrin. You will reduce body and mouthfeel--you'll make Coor's Light.

I have enzymes in basic malt, so add, say, Caramel 10L malt to mash has no sense because enzymes will process
the caramelized (unfermentable) sugar, did I understand right?

2. No, such as the case of amylopectin.

In other words, if I make decoction and the schedule assumes alpha amylase rest before boiling for part of wort, the resulted
unfermentable sugars/dextrins will not be split into simpler sugars by beta amylase enzymes when I return this part of wort back? It
is good to know, thank you.

3. A) Oxygenation helps homogenize your wort/yeast. I always shake the **** out of my carboy after pitching.
B) Yeast use oxygen right after pitching. When gravity rises, O2 solubility decreases and O2 should leave through the airlock.

Yes, I know. But dry yeasts at least made by Fermentis and Lallemand do not use this oxygen, and both producers do not
recommend to aerate wort when the dry yeasts are used. For all but last four my batches I shook my carboy too (before I
noticed this info on Fermentis web site). Therefore I asked about the excess of the oxygen, will it just be released from wort
or lead to oxidation of the wort.

I have enzymes in basic malt, so add, say, Caramel 10L malt to mash has no sense because enzymes will process
the caramelized (unfermentable) sugar, did I understand right?
1. I'm don't understand your question.
2. Why do you want to ferment unfermentable sugars? The point i was trying to get across is you want some of those unfermentable sugars. They add body, texture, and mouthfeel. If you use enzymes they'll be gone and you have a watery beer, like Coors Light.

1. I'm don't understand your question.
2. Why do you want to ferment unfermentable sugars? The point i was trying to get across is you want some of those unfermentable sugars. They add body, texture, and mouthfeel. If you use enzymes they'll be gone and you have a watery beer, like Coors Light.

Sorry if I formulated the question not clearly (and thank you for patience!). No, I do not want to remove unfermentable sugars, I am worry
that enzymes will process them along with starches. Well, may be "worry" is not right word, I am asking what happened with caramelized
sugars when it is in mash? Beta amylase enzymes detach simple glucose molecules from starches/complex sugars, right? Do they process
in the same way the caramelized sugars too or the caramelized sugars are isomerized in such way so they stay intact? Sorry again, but I
did not find answer on this question on the net.

Part of the whole process of homebrewing is experimentation and experience. On the door of my brewery I have a sign which reads "Laboratory."

I often feel apprehensive when venturing into the unknown, and I take a deep breath and say, "here goes nothing..."

Maybe you should experiment and record your results?
20210319_092619.jpg

Part of the whole process of homebrewing is experimentation and experience. On the door of my brewery I have a sign which reads "Laboratory."

I often feel apprehensive when venturing into the unknown, and I take a deep breath and say, "here goes nothing..."

Maybe you should experiment and record your results?View attachment 723469
I see. Thank you for answer.

Latest posts

Back