questions for keggers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kjuckett1025

Reaction score
Hi,

First and foremost I'm new here, and have been researching the past week information on Kegging. I've been brewing beer for approximately 2 years, and am contemplating swapping to a kegging system.

Most of my google research has led me to links to this page, thus I signed up as it seems to be a wealth of knowledge in one place.

First, what I'm looking for; I typically brew 2 five gallon batches at a time. The beers can range to all different types, thus I know might have an impact on different co2 levels ( from what I've read ). I'm interested in a two keg system, at least to start.

I've bounced around the ideas of purchasing a flat out pre-built " kegerator ". A two keg system all included is approximately 750.00 on their sight. I did however notice that this seems to have a co2 regulator with one control setting, but I could be wrong. I didn't see two seperate lines out from the regulator.

I also found this;

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...rce=criteo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=c-prod

Has anyone used this product, or have any comments about it? At 350.00, it seems to be the majority of the meat of the internals, albeit Id need a tower, likely new beer lines, and a co2 tank. With a decent deal on a fridge/freezer, I feel this could be a cheaper alternative, with the added benefit of a dual regulator.

If it is a good product, I feel more inclined to go that route. Then Id just have to decide to either go freezer or fridge.

Thanks again for your time. I know it's a long thread, and hopefully not in here before. Just wanted to hear some more experienced insight and ideas on the matter.

Kyle

Just my .02 and that's probably about what its worth...

But I would keep an eye on Craigslist for an old freezer/refrigerator, then just buy a used regulator/kegs on here (or possibly craiglist as well if there's a good homebrew scene nearby you.) The $350 "kit" from Northern is basically just two shiny new kegs with some stickers. You could have the same set up with used kegs for around $150 tops. Kegs don't really go bad, you MIGHT need to replace some gaskets but you're talking a couple dollars there.

EDIT: Almost forgot, that kit also come with "cobra" or "picnic" taps, probably not what you're going to want to use, but even if that is how you stary out, they're only a couple dollars as well.

Buy once, cry once, get Perlick faucets and you won't regret it.

I brew how you do.... 2x5gal batches at a time or 10 and split the fermentation creating multiple beers that often need different CO2 levels to be true to style (or even force carbing while serving another).

I got a dual body Taprite regulator and never looked back. It has performed most excellent although after a year and a half I rebuilt both body internal manifolds (part kids readily available). My stuff came from kegconnection. com and their level of service was outstanding.

For a fridge, find a used Craigslist one and mod it. You really only need a hole saw. Make sure to get quality faucets.

Oh and on kegs... if $$ is not a concern then buy new. They are pristine. Used can be sketchy (broken poppets, bent lids, leaky posts, infections) but once you figure out how to properly clean and repair them, they are a piece of cake.

Oh and on kegs... if $$ is not a concern then buy new. They are pristine. Used can be sketchy (broken poppets, bent lids, leaky posts, infections) but once you figure out how to properly clean and repair them, they are a piece of cake.

Buying new is not always the wisest choice, especially if those "shiny" new kegs are made in China! Iffy sanitary welds at best!

^This! The prices in this part of town for used kegs is ridiculous ($75 at the local home brew store). I'll spend $20-$30 more and get a new keg.

Buying new is not always the wisest choice, especially if those "shiny" new kegs are made in China! Iffy sanitary welds at best!

No first hand experience, but I've read a lot of disappointed reviews of new kegs in the last year. Problems with posts that are damaged when disassembled for cleaning (and vendors stating the posts are not to be removed), stained interiors, rusting welds...

Not sure they're actually worth as much as a trusty old corny that holds pressure (and wasn't used for pesticides ;))

Cheers!

Thank you all for the time taken to reply and advice given. I'm going to look into what you guys have mentioned, and steer clear from that kit I listed.

Thanks!

I purchased a 2 keg setup from kegconnection years back, then just purchased more stuff from them to upgrade to 6 kegs. Great customer service! You can also play around with their kits online to customize what you want.

Latest posts

Back