Questions about this Pirate Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBrewski

Reaction score
I have been growing more and more anxious to brew this Pirate Ale beer recipe posted by BigKahuna in the Stout recipe section of the forums - so anxious that I felt a need to post my troubles here. I figured since this section sees more traffic I could get some quick answers about the things in the recipe that I need clarified (I hope that it's okay I did this). I think I simply just need more detail of the ingredients and when they should be added to the boil/prior to boil. Because I am a beginning brewer, I'm guessing these are just common ingredients that he figured most posters would know about. Thanks in advance: Here's the recipe. I'm most confused about the Crystal Malt, Black Patent Malt, and Torrified Wheat he has listed.

DefaultPirate Ale
Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons): 5 Gallon
Original Gravity: 1.06
Final Gravity: 1.01?
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: Dark
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 / 70
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 / 60

7 ½# Dark LME
½# Roasted Barley grain
3/4# Black Patent Malt
½# Crystal Malt
½# Torified Wheat
1 1/2 oz Northern Boiling Hops
1 package of ale yeast.

Steep Grains to 165, Then remove and add LME, Bring to Boil. Add Hops for 60 minutes, cool and pitch yeast.
Rack onto 3 cups grated Confectioners Coconut, and let it sit for 10 days. Be carefull to avoid the oil that will be on top of the beer when racking to bottle bucket.
Bottle with 5 oz Priming sugar and 1 1/2 Litre of Rum. Appleton Estates.

recipe is pretty straight forward, take the recipe into your local homebrew store and the guy should be able to show you where the malts (black patent, crystal, & torrified wheat) are, and probably put the malts through a mill & crack them for you as well. If you dont have a grain bag, get one while you're at the store. then fill your kettle full of water, throw the cracked malts into a grain bag & then into the kettle, and heat until you hit 165 degrees. then just follow the recipe from there.

I just brewed this recipe a 5-6 weeks ago and just enjoyed a bottle of it tonight. needs more time in the bottle for the coconut flavor to even out with everything else, but a pretty good beer.

Oh okay, thanks man! So the Black Patent, Crystal, and Torrified Wheat are treated like the Roasted Barley Grain in the sense that they will be steeped in the water while it heats up? I was under in the impression that since Black Patent and Crystal had "Malt" in the name that they were supposed to be a Malt Extract and added with the Malt Extract.

You're doing a partial mash brew so all the actual grains will be steeped together at the start of your brewing; when you start your boil you'll be adding your LME(make sure to get LME that is NOT prehopped!), hops, etc at various timings.

This beer sounds really interesting; going to have to add it to my recipe book on beersmith and see if I can squeeze it into my schedule sometime!

Well I converted the LME into a DME amount and was planning on just getting 6 pounds of Dark DME. Would that still work?

Oh okay, thanks man! So the Black Patent, Crystal, and Torrified Wheat are treated like the Roasted Barley Grain in the sense that they will be steeped in the water while it heats up? I was under in the impression that since Black Patent and Crystal had "Malt" in the name that they were supposed to be a Malt Extract and added with the Malt Extract.
What ABV was the beer at after adding the rum?

The half pound of Crystal malt as shown in post one does not have a specified darkness.

Considering the rest of the grain bill I would probably use either 60L or 120L for the Crystal. Although if I had a half pound of cracked 40L going stale in my freezer I might use it.

If I bought the ingredients today and plan on brewing tomorrow should I be storing everything in the freezer, fridge, or just out in the open?

If you plan on brewing tomorrow just leave the grains and extracts in cool dark place around your house. You will need the extracts around room temp to add them to boil easily.

I always throw hops and yeast in the fridge to play it safe. If you have liquid yeast take it out of the fridge for a few hours before you pitch it.

Back